What do you Understand about River Blindness? PART 1

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
I use to hear about River Blindness from many people and I used to think may be its in the river that one get it until when I get to know some fact about this disease.

When a person complains of his eyes, as also about itching, backache and join pains, and look for little lumps on the scalp or waist and changes to the akin

Complications in the eye can be dangerous. First there may be readiness and tears, then sign of iritis.
The cornea become dull and pitted as in xerophthalmia, and scarring develops from the side and lower half.
Finally sight is lost as a result of the cornea becoming white, and other damage occurring deeper within the eye.

Treatment in the early stages works well,and can save the sight.
Ivermetin is the safest drug but duethylcarbamazine and suramin can also help if used carefully. For the dosage and precautions for these drugs. Once there is blindness,no treatment will make any difference.

This is how river blindness do look like and if care is not taken in time the eye may become blind for ever.

You may have one thing or the other to say concerning this.

When I learned about the term 'River blindness during my secondary time, I simply taught the same thing just as you said, when one experiences blindness swimming baround the river, maybe something very harmful struck his or her eyes and blindness occurs. But the teacher came to make it clear to us that iritation in the eyes can cause the eye to have defects, if time is not taking to eradicate the symptoms of the iritation in the eyes which happened due to wrong application of substances and others can cause the eye go into river blindness. Care is needed at that time to save the victim from going full blindness, medical attention is a priority at that moment.