What If the market is not trending

amakaokafor

Banned
I love or maybe I should say am a trendline trader,I love to see a trending market whether uptrend it downtrend,but what if the market is not in an uptrend or downtrend,u can also trade in a consolidating market(up and down market)the up is the resistance while the down is support,that the market is at a resistance does not mean you should immediately sell,you can use your rsi,if the rsi is above 70 and gone down past 30 line,then maybe you can sell

Kingstone

There are some traders who love to trade a ranging market. I do not understand the principle or strategy behind it. I have watched some videos about it but it was difficult for me to replicate. As a trendline trader, you will perfectly understand the market movement whether it is buying or selling. I guess you know the continuation patterns too.

If a market is trending, I normally wait till the end of the trend and see how if there are reversal patterns. I love to trade reversal patterns. Using only RSI will not be sufficient to predict the right trade.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
When market is consolidating on higher time frames my mentor told me to stay away from the market, but I have a coconut head I don't listen 😂 😂

What I do is simple, I go to lower timeframe and I'll find structure and trade, I've got burnt a lot of times but I'm not really scarred because I use a very small lotsize even if I lose five times, one win can bring back all what I lose, that's my tactic, on lower timeframes I prefer the 15 minutes time frame, I'll look for a good entry point and trade, while keeping my eyes on the higher timeframe waiting for it to get out of the consolidating zone.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well if you said that one gains can actually brought back all the money you have lost in five trade then you might really be perfect in Risk Management but for me it will be very difficult for me to get back all the money I've lost in five trade with one that is why I always try as much as possible to avoid any situation that make me to lose on any trade I engage, well I do not trade forex but most of my concentration is always on cryptocurrency and even now I did not trade crypto for now but possibly I might reconsider my decision in the future.

Setho

VIP Contributor
It is not compulsory that the market must be within a range before you will know how to pick up a particular trade. There are so many things like fundamental analysis that can also be able to hint at where price can go and at this point your technical analysis is completely invalidated. If you are not a strong fan of fundamental analysis then at this point in time when prices ranging in the market then it is best that you take out time to do other things and then wait until your own preferred setup has shown face in the market.

Zonked

There are times when the market is moving sideways. In this situation, you should not try to trade forcefully as there are chances of losing. You can look for the availability of pips. If it is enough that you can make small profits, carefully plan a strategy to trade. But if pips are not enough, wait for a pattern like a triangle where the price will move in a direction afterwards.

Torsade

There are majorly three market situations: uptrend, downtrend, and moving sideways. If you don’t notice any trend, it is probably because the market is moving sideways. Analyse it a little bit more to see if it’s worth trading or not.

Feeble

In forex a trader can trade either side of the market but, if the market is moving sideways, I prefer not to trade till the market shows any trend.

Hydrogenic

If and when the market moves sideways, you’ll have to just identify if this is the right decision for your goal. When a market doesn’t uptrend or downtrend, it moves sideways, which means; prices generally travel in-between strong levels of support and resistance which is not uncommon. This is the period before the uptrends or downtrends, where the price action of an asset stays prolonged until the market shifts.

cashisking149

Depends on your trading style but I am of the opinion that price is fractal and what appears to be consolidating on a higher TF is trending on a lower one.

Archipelago

I prefer not to trade when the market is not trending. This keeps me from making mistakes that can cause heavy losses. I have heard some traders using the mean reversion strategy but have no idea how it works.

Hooligan

If the market is not going up and down, it is moving sideways. As there can be anything after that, it’s best not to trade when the market is moving sideways.

shirleencomer

In this case, if there is no trend, then you will be forced to take trades at random times because there is no direction in which your money can move. I do not prefer trading at these times.

Jack Reacher

Verified member
I see, Forex traders must grow their analytical ability that helps a trader understand the flow of the market. So, it’s urgent for a trader to develop analytical ability in him. Traders should run their analytical function pair by pair so it becomes easy for them. However, Eurotrader offers all the pairs to their traders with maximum of them come with low spread. Their platform incorporates all necessary technical tools for the sake of their analysis.

Syngenesis

Don’t panic if the market is not trending, it is not mandatory that the market will be in your range. Stay away from the market at such times.

Dita Walczak

Verified member
Then I do scalping usually! Forex is the largest currency trading business in the world with more than 4 trillions of dollars invested a day. Several brokers serve Forex market in different ways. But choosing right forex broker is the toughest job because there are a number scam brokers available in the market place.

Symphonia

There are periods when the market moves in a straight line. You should not try to trade aggressively in this case since you may lose. You can look for pips' availability. If you believe you can generate little profits, carefully design a trading strategy. If pips aren't enough, look for a pattern like a triangle, in which the price moves in a specific direction.

Genesiology

I stay away from trading when such a situation arises to prevent losses and wait patiently. However, there are traders who trade with a reverse strategy during ranging markets but I never tried it personally.