What is Bounce Rate? Why You Need to Keep You Bounce Rate Low?

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
High Bounce Rate is one of the main reasons what your website and web content is not ranked high. Bounce Rate refers to the time visitor spends on your website. If visitors come to your website and leave your website immediately in 10-20 seconds, you will have high bounce rate. However, if the visitors stay to read your content, engage with your content (for example, leaves comment), or checks other articles, your website will have a low bounce rate.

Bounce Rate is measured on a scale of 0-100 where higher number indicate high Bounce Rate. You need to keep your Bounce Rate below 50.

You need to keep your website’s Bounce Rate low because high Bounce Rate will have an adverse effect on your website’s position on Search Engine Result Page. Sites with high Bounce Rate will have lower ranking compared to the sites with lower Bounce Rate.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Bounce rate is a term used for traffic analysis on any website. If you use Google Alalytics for your website, you can see your website bounce rate. Bounce rate is the figure you get by dividing all sessions on your website by your single session. Bounce rate does not directly affect SEO.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
@Jasmine who ever tell you that bounce rate has a great effect on your website search engine optimisation is not telling you the truth. My blog has bounce rate of 90% and it is ranking higher for every new content I posted on the website. It's only someone who is new to search engine optimisation will claim that bounce rate has effect on website ranking.

D

Deleted member 51169

Like serious? This is first of reading about this terminology. I believe Trendri knows this strategy. If he does, he should try and make the site more engaging by increasing the number of comments we make here daily, so as to make this forum more engaging and generate more traffic.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
With your explanation on bounce rate, it seems it is used in determining the traffic generation level on a website. To make sure there is no high bjuce rate, then there is need for quality posts. This will keep users glue to the website. Any other things aside this will lead to high bounce rate.

SteeveJo

In short Bounce rate is how long it takes for readers to leave your website or specific written content on your website. It is important for your website ranking on Google because if people do not spend enough time on your website, the Google algorithm is going to rank your website lower on its pages because it will assume that your content is not very interesting since people do not bother reading all of it.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When the reader of the page leaves at once the most common reason is the lack of interest. The content may not be relevant to him especially if he clicked the link based on the description. To improve the bounce rate there should be other items that are interesting to make it more relevant to the reader that he will spend more time on the web page.

Mika

VIP Contributor
@Jasmine who ever tell you that bounce rate has a great effect on your website search engine optimisation is not telling you the truth. My blog has bounce rate of 90% and it is ranking higher for every new content I posted on the website. It's only someone who is new to search engine optimisation will claim that bounce rate has effect on website ranking.
What keywords your website ranks for? Does your website appear on the first page? I am curious to know because you say you have a 90 percent bounce rate and yet you rank high. Bounce rate has an adverse effect on your search engine ranking. However, there are also other factors involved in search engine raking, not just the bounce rate.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
@Mika my website ranks number 5 (Lady Janet Kitchen dot com) on first page of Google for this keyword term "How To Get Fever With Onion". I still manage to retain number one spot for other keywords in the kitchen needs.

The overall bounce rate on my website at present is 92% and I don't get penalized from the recent Google algorithm update. I think it is good to focus on quality contents and boost loading speed.

Here are some of the key words I am ranking for on the first page of Google search engine, my website is Lady Janet Kitchen, you will see Kayode10 as the author.

"Electric oven shocked me" page #1

"Can an electric stove leak gas" page #1

"Coffee maker turn off by itself" page #1

Last edited: