What to buy a domain? Tips for First Time Domain Buyers

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Whether you want to buy a domain for your business, a blog or website, or buy a domain so that you can sell later and make money, you will have to be careful about a couple of things. Let me elaborate this in more details.

Domain extensions

Domain extensions are technically referred to as Top Level Domain. There are as many as 1500 Top Level Domains, or domain extensions. Some of the common Top Level Domains are domain extensions like dot com, dot net dot org, etc.

Domain Extensions have different price attached. You can buy some domain extensions for as low as $1 for the first year, and some domains might cost as much as $1500 for one year. The choice of domain extensions should be based on the money you have to pay for registration and renewal, and the niche of your website.

Domain name

Domain name or the Second Level Domain is the name you choose for your domain. Domain name is the name after www and before the domain extension like dot com, dot org, etc. For a domain www dot mywebsite dot com, mywebsite is your domain name. You have to choose the domain name wisely because search engines ranks your website based on the keywords used on the domain name. Domain name has SEO value, therefore, you need to use keywords in your domain name.

D

Deleted member 13140

You should have given an example of such extension because i can fully assure you that i have no idea what said domain extensions are, that is something i will have to google later on, anyways, i don't know if anyone is into the business of buying and selling of domains, though i guess people do it, but i thought it wasn't okay by google, because people mainly use it for SEO purposes, which i think is definitely a good strategy. But buying and selling of domains i ruled that out a long time ago when i saw a domain name on a site for sale and it was available at around $1500 yeah i get the name might have meant something but not anymore.

Mika

VIP Contributor
When I am buying a domain, I always check the price. I don't fall for the price just because I can get the domain for $1. Most of the domains that are available for cheap will have higher renewal prices. For instance, you can buy xyz for $1 but the next year you will end up paying $13 for renewal, which is almost same as the renewal price for dot come. Also, I never fall for higher priced domain. Why should you buy a fancy domain and spend a lot of money when the extension does not matter for search engines.

Sheebaparveen

1. Choose a Reliable Domain Registrar
  2. Find a Domain Availability Checker Tool.
  3. Choose the Best Domain Name Option.
  4. Purchase Your Domain Name and Complete Its Registration.
  5. Verify Ownership of Your New Domain.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
If you're considering buying a domain, there are a few things you want to consider.

The first, and most important, is what you need the domain for. Do you want it for your personal website? A business site? Are you going to be selling a product through the site? Or are you just looking to have fun with a new hobby and make some new friends from around the world (who share your love of whatever)?

If you're doing this for business, then you can't go wrong with .com. It's the most popular and recognizable domain extension, and it lends legitimacy to your business. If you're going for something more personal, like a blog or just basically anything else, then there are tons of extensions that fit the bill: .net, .info, .org, .life (new!), etc.

Once you've chosen an extension that fits your purpose, it's time to name your site! You'll want to choose something that describes your site accurately but is also genuinely memorable. It's tempting to get too literal or too creative here—avoid both pitfalls by asking yourself if other people will understand or remember what your domain is called in three seconds or less. If they don't get it right away, use something else that will be more memorable, there are thousands of sites offering same niche out there.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
What ranks domain name higher on search engines is the keyword, when a more unique keyword is used, definitely the domain will look professional indeed, then choosing a popular extension defines it all, it will make it easily searchable. .com is more preferably when it comes to domain extensions. Most newbies in the internet space, thinks all websites ends with the .com extension, that's why if you website ends with .com, it can be easily searched by users, even though they don't know it has a .com extension. .xyz might not be as popular, meaning, if a user who isn't conversant with how domain extension works, will think it's a .com extension, before he or she realizes, it opens another website link, different from yours. For more recognition I prefer .com TLDs than any other extension due to its high level of popularity than others in the extension space.