When the boss is too petty in the implementation of rules

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was an executive of a Japanese software house, I was surprised to hear the complaint of the president’s wife (they own the company). The coffee in the office is too quick to be consumed. The employees, said the ma’am may be drinking coffee too often. That was outrageous to me.

Another complaint is the coupon bond paper that we use for diagrams before coding the programs. The stocks are replenished every month. The employees, said the ma’am, may be bringing home some of the paper.

Such too petty strictness gives a bad impression and extreme frugality can harbor ill feelings. That is a neat lesson to me that being too strict should always have a valid reason. You cannot just whip the employees to obey you. That is a slight abuse.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Why so many rules in the company?? Too many complains from the owner, or the family of the CEO owning the company which helps the owner to manage the company, isn't encouraging at all. When addressing the employees, some politeness need to come inline, and not talking to the employees anyhow like they're animals. The employees are part of the company and they deserve respect too.

Mika

VIP Contributor
While I did not have a boss or boss's wife who took home the company's coffee or the company's paper, she expected help from the emplpyees in her personal matter. When she was celebrating her daughter's birthday, she expected the employees to reach her house a little earlier and blow the balloons, or even go grocery shopping, etc.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
At least that one is simple, the employer's wife is simple, having heart of Gold, showing care for the employees. Surely the employees will turn up to her and help her to arrange for the birthday stuffs of her daughter. I believe back then, you employees visited her home to help her arrange and prefer for the birthday ceremony of her daughter??

Sammyesx

In as much as rules are necessary in every organization, it shouldn't be implemented in a petty or extreme manner, the employee are adults and not kids, they are workers and not slaves, so they should be treated with respect, being petty with rules will definitely affect the productivity of the employees