why are customers not always faithful when they buy things on credit?

funmi

Verified member
This questions has been on my mind for a long time now. I don't know if this happens to other people but I have noticed that many of my customers have not been faithful with their promises when ever they buy goods on credit from me.

I have like two customers that does not pay at the given time they promised. I know it is hard to escape selling goods on credits for people since they are your regular customers but when this customers start making you to loss because they have already tied down your capital, what can you do in such a situation?

More so, I have tried sometimes ago to talk to them nicely about it. I once told them that I don't get the goods on credit in the place where I bought it from, but they keep on receiving me and giving me all sorts of excuses that later got me tired about the business.

Some customers will buy two goods and pay for only one, that will take almost a week to pay back. And after paying, they will still collect more on credit.
Please, I actually need an urgent answer for this question.
Your contributions will be appreciated. Thanks.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I would rather blame the seller than the buyers. Sellers should not be trusting customers to the extent of selling on credit except the customer has fulfilled or had been subjected to various financial testings. Most customers buy more than what they are capable of affording. But because most sellers just want to sell off their goods, they decide to sell on credit even when they don't know financial stand of the buyers.

funmi

Verified member
I would rather blame the seller than the buyers. Sellers should not be trusting customers to the extent of selling on credit except the customer has fulfilled or had been subjected to various financial testings. Most customers buy more than what they are capable of affording. But because most sellers just want to sell off their goods, they decide to sell on credit even when they don't know financial stand of the buyers.
You have some good points there. And you are very right. Maybe if many sellers has laid down their rules from the beginning of the business, will not have come to this extent. But, I don't know if this error is correctable or if it will be possible for someone to change the style of doing the business with the customers.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Selling things on credit for customers can't be escaped from, especially if you have some customers who have been paying, but for one reason or another, they couldn't pay anymore. You may have to sell credit to this kind of people as you know when they had money, they have been coming to buy from you. But, there's limitations to most things, if someone keeps coming back to collect things on credit without being able to pay on time, you have to stop selling on credit to those people.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
You have some good points there. And you are very right. Maybe if many sellers has laid down their rules from the beginning of the business, will not have come to this extent. But, I don't know if this error is correctable or if it will be possible for someone to change the style of doing the business with the customers.
It will be correctable on one ground. It is somehow possible to change to new behavior without hurting the customers. That's why it is better if the seller just employ a helper that the buyers don't know before. The helper will be strict with the buyers and won't tolerate buying on credits. In a due course, the mistake will be corrected.

AmaliaTG

This questions has been on my mind for a long time now. I don't know if this happens to other people but I have noticed that many of my customers have not been faithful with their promises when ever they buy goods on credit from me.

I have like two customers that does not pay at the given time they promised. I know it is hard to escape selling goods on credits for people since they are your regular customers but when this customers start making you to loss because they have already tied down your capital, what can you do in such a situation?

More so, I have tried sometimes ago to talk to them nicely about it. I once told them that I don't get the goods on credit in the place where I bought it from, but they keep on receiving me and giving me all sorts of excuses that later got me tired about the business.

Some customers will buy two goods and pay for only one, that will take almost a week to pay back. And after paying, they will still collect more on credit.
They fail to pay you the money on credit simply because you failed the number one rule of bussines. Never ever do your business to credit someone, because everyone will want the products on credit. Bussines men and women should be tough, don't be soft on nobody when it comes to bussines and as they all say, there is no friendship or familyship when it comes to bussines. Be strict with your money because even you when you anent to get those products, you did not get them on credit. Otherwise if you continue to give them on credit, you will end up bankrupt and falling of your business.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In the olden days when the small convenience store was the most common provider of household goods and food items it is very easy to buy on credit. The neighborhood store owner trusts all his neighbors. But he has a notebook for the recording of credit buys. The customer should pay on payday otherwise his credit will be stopped.

Augusta

VIP Contributor

It is just human nature to be unfaithful in the little things they do. They don't mind soiling their for peanuts. This is why it is in the seller place to filter out people he or she should give goods on credit. Test the buyer first with the little one before giving in large quantity

Setho

VIP Contributor
This is something that a lot of people often face challenges in their business especially for those that are just starting out. Customers are not always feel full because I think they have a sense of fulfillment already that they have already collected the product. This is why I always ensure that before I give you an item on credit there must be a way in which you can pay back automatically.