Will you resign if your salary is reduced by 50%

Josemendez

Verified member
The main reason why people work in companies is to make money while contributing simultaneously to the progress of the company. Every employee wants to be paid something that will be able to enable him sort out his responsibilities and have something to keep for emergency purpose.

If the company one is working slashes one's salary by 50% because of the Financial challenges the company is facing , and the money left to be paid to the person is not enough to take care of the person's responsibilities. If you are in this kind of situations , will you be able to continue working for the company or will you look for an alternative company as you need to make money that will help you take care of your responsibilities ?

In my opinion , I will see if there is a way that I can find a hobby to make up especially if it is a company that has been good to me . If I am unable to find additional way to support my reduced earning , I will be managing why looking for a new job because I can't displease myself to please another.

funmi

Verified member
I have one question as regards this your question. Will the company that slashes my salary reduce my work load? Or will I still be doing the same job for the same amount of money I was earning before? No way, it can be possible. I can never be faithful to that company because I have already done my budget based on the money am receiving from them before. If the salary is slashed up to 50% then they should be able to reduce my work load by 50% too.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I would definitely not work. Every one who spends time and work for your company deserves to be paid the right amount for the job. Unfortunately, many employers are already taking advantage of poor population in our country and do not pay the right amount they deserve for the job. There is no rule by the law that makes employers pay the right amount of money to employees. Things would only get worse if my salary gets halved.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Salary if not commensurate with workload should at least not be too lower to the workload. Personally, I prefer being owned to being reduced my salary. My expenses won't reduce because my salary is reduced. Therefore, I won't work if my salary is reduced with that much margin. To me that's modern slavery.

Mubashar001

You're right actually most of the modern companies are doing such things with their employees actually and making them feel useless people work 24/7 their ass off and then such companies often refuse to pay out citing various silly reasons in my opinion they just take advantage of their members actually to be precise

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Salary if not commensurate with workload should at least not be too lower to the workload. Personally, I prefer being owned to being reduced my salary. My expenses won't reduce because my salary is reduced. Therefore, I won't work if my salary is reduced with that much margin. To me that's modern slavery.

The fact of the matter remains that we are already living during the hard times. The pandemic has caused many people to lose their jobs and the problem of inflation is also growing a lot in many countries. This is also contributing to the problem of unemployment. If the salaries get deducted by half, then how can an ordinary person survive?

AmaliaTG

The main reason why people work in companies is to make money while contributing simultaneously to the progress of the company. Every employee wants to be paid something that will be able to enable him sort out his responsibilities and have something to keep for emergency purpose.

If the company one is working slashes one's salary by 50% because of the Financial challenges the company is facing , and the money left to be paid to the person is not enough to take care of the person's responsibilities. If you are in this kind of situations , will you be able to continue working for the company or will you look for an alternative company as you need to make money that will help you take care of your responsibilities ?

In my opinion , I will see if there is a way that I can find a hobby to make up especially if it is a company that has been good to me . If I am unable to find additional way to support my reduced earning , I will be managing why looking for a new job because I can't displease myself to please another.
I will definitely not want to work there, of course I won't quit without finding myself another alternative or another job. Because 50% salary cut off is too much and I have to consider myself first however much the company was good to me. I will only quit upon getting another job or even a side hustle income to fill in the gap of the salary cut off. It's better to have that 50% salary than nothing at all, so I choose still stay there as I to look for another job or side hustle.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
It's not so good if your salary is slashed in half....It's going to destroy and disrupt your monthly budget. However, I don't think we should resign immediately, we can be managing it and be searching for another one. Because if you resign immediately without having another source of income, it will back fire on you.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I lost my job when my company started reducing staff due to the failing business during the pandemic. After some months situations improved and the country eased lockdown. I was invited to join the company but they said my salary will be slashed by 25 percent. I rejected the offer and decided to continue on my own.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I had an experience with a company that was going down. But our boss did not resort to retrenchment of employees or salary cuts. He said that it is cruel to reduce the salary because that is the livelihood of the employee. The problem was announced and it was up to the employees if they will leave or stay.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
It depends because if I know that the company is having financial issues ,then I might choose to allow a pay cut so that it can help company financially , I have once experience such thing and it was because the covid19 affected the company inflow of profit I just have to take a pay cut to help the company

Setho

VIP Contributor
I do not think it is going to go down well with me if my salary is going to be caught up to that much. First I am going to demand explanation and I'm going to expect to hear things like maybe an ongoing recession for the company drifting backward. But if I do not receive any legible explanation then I am definitely going to leave the company and inform my lawyer.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
People should always know their worth and try as much as possible to not slave for any business or company. If you are doing a lot of work and your salary is slashed by 50%, it is very much important to try as much as possible to resign. During the Corona virus pandemic a lot of businesses reduced the salary of their workers and at the same time they tried as much as possible to reduce the workload and in this scenario it is a win-win for the both of them because you have a chance as a worker to venture into other businesses or probably get other jobs people but in a situation whereby the company does not reduce your work load and they are slashing your salary, then you have no other option than to resign because it is no longer worth it.

There are several businesses in which you can venture into online and probably succeed on it on the long run but you have to know that it takes a lot of knowledge and understanding for you to succeed on the internet. It also takes perseverance and patience for you to succeed and the internet, so you shouldn't be stuck in a job that slashes your salary.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
It feels bad when you're on the receiving end of a salary redundancy, no doubt. I don't see any one who wouldn't feel infuriated when his or her salary is reduced by 50%. But such shouldn't make me feel too infuriated and quiting when the company is good to me. I can only resign when the salary can't take care of my primary needs like, food and paying shelter bills. I am not talking about money to buy new clothes, but at least money that can make me look good. It should be enough for me to look good and not looking tattered while I am working. But when it is enough to service those my primary needs, I'll continue being loyal to the company, hoping that the future will be better. I know it can only be caused by Covid 19 pandemic, which restricted companies operation in the past. Many companies went on redundancy and slashed workers salaries and also relieving many of their duties in order to stay afloat and not suffering from unexpected bankruptcy.