Will Your Auto Insurance Weather The Storm?

Moni

Severe storm can cause enormous property damage to you home. They can also do the same thing to your car. With storm getting worse, what can you do? Take a look at your insurance policy.

"Too often, people don't notice they lack certain type of coverage until they try to make a claim," in fact the number of reported claims for vehicle losses due to severe storms nearly doubled in the first five years of this century, according to ISO's property claim services (PSC) unit, the recognized authority on insured property losses from catastrophes in the United States.

Fortunately, the insurance information institute ( I.I.I), a nonprofit organization, says comprehensive coverage Will reimburse you for loss due to fire, falling objects, storms, vandalism, animals and floods. Comprehensive insurance usually has a $100 to $300 deductible, though you may want a higher on to lower your premium.

Comprehensive insurance will reimburse you if your windshield is crack or shattered. But even if you have comprehensive coverage, it is not always guaranteed to meet your needs, says Carolyn Gorman, vice president of I.I.I.
For example, you may be surprised to discover that after a storm your auto insurance does not automatically covered the cost of a replacement rental car while your car while is in the repair shop or you wait for authorization for a new car.