4 Real ways to avoid being a victim of property fraud

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Scammers and fraudsters are using all means now to steal from people and the real estate industry isn't an exception. They are fake real estate agents posing as genuine ones looking for any naive person to defraud so everyone need to be careful

When you are looking out to get any property, try not to do the following to avoid being defrauded

Don't pay for a property you are yet to view no matter the excuse that will be tendered by the agents. You shouldn't be in a rush to part with your money on a property you are yet to be seen. Don't buy into the idea of just seeing the property on their phone or a photo book. Make a physical inspection

Don't fall a victim to a low price. Yes you might be right it might just be too good to be true.

Get a knowledgeable person to access the documents of the property you are paying for. Make payments only when you have ascertained that the documents are real

Don't be quick to make payments no matter the pressure mounted on you to secure the property as early as possible. It is a tactic employed by frsudsters to avoid people from finding out on time about their dubious activities so hold on a bit and make your investigation before going ahead.

There are a number of ways that you can avoid being the victim of property fraud. One of the most important things that you can do is to keep good records of your property ownership. This means keeping a close eye on your property deeds, mortgage documents, and other ownership documents.

Another way to avoid being the victim of property fraud is to be aware of the warning signs. These can include unclear or illegal contracts, unexpected changes in the title or deed to your property, or pressure to sign over your property. If you are ever in doubt about a situation, it is always best to seek legal advice.

Lastly, it is also important to remember that property fraud can happen to anyone. Even if you are vigilant, there are always people out there who are looking to take advantage of the situation. If you think that you may be the victim of property fraud, the best thing to do is to contact the authorities immediately.

Property fraud is very real and one needs to be very careful when trying to get an asset. The way the economy is biting has left a lot of people to be conscience less that people carry out fraud with no remorse you would be shocked at what humans can become when it comes to money. This is your hard earned money and one person will make you look stupid with it if you are not really careful before dealing with them.

So when getting a property you need to have a professional with you to assess the documents presented to you, forget the looks and the talks by the person rather look at the different documents and let the professional verified from all the places he should to be sure they are all genuine.

Avoid to be pressured for immediate payment, it's a gimmicks to make you fall before you are able to ascertain how real the property is really is. Be ready to move into the home as soon as possible before making the payment. No need staying out for a long time.

Get your receipt as soon as you make your payment too. This will serve as evidence.

Thanks for sharing. Although I do not have money to invest in the real estate market now and even if I do I won't likely fall into the hands of scammers because there are some certain things you must know naturally as an individual and there are some certain things you should not do when trying to get a property for yourself.

I rather prefer to run away from property that are too cheap to be true then for me to pay for such because in one way or the other there is likely be a problem and these are things I am trying all my possible means to avoid .

We know scammers and what they are capable of doing . As the poster has said it is very important for us not to pay for properties we don't have understanding about. Everything must be agreed upon and all agreement must be signed before payment is being issued .

Correct. Their is no way I can fall for the trick of low property price. I know when it sounds too good, it doesn't yield positive end products it ends up in tears for one who lacks the knowledge to ask questions to be well informed. Before I pay for any property of whatsoever, I'll ask questions to those around, not just from one person but around many who knows the property I'm purchasing well. Wasting money ignorantly isn't an excuse at all, we should act smart too, and avoid entering into the wrong hand. Paying for items without the real documentation of the property looks totally weird, we should get clear documents that proves ownership of the property to the original owner before accepting to pay the agreed price.

You are right I wonder what people feels they should be inna haste to make payments for a property that they might not use very soon. if someone is flipping a property and the price seems right it isn't still good enough not to investigate. Try and be sensible enough to get a professional involved

There are a lot of people masquerading as real estate agents and they are pure scam so no matter how promising a deal may seems it is good to still make your research and do all findings to be sure the real owner is the person you would be paying to later.

I have witnessed my family throw away money in trying to buy a home. Everything had looked so genuine with the right papers but albeit stolen ones and the real owner was abroad. When he got to know he flew back and there was an injunction. The whole issue became a law suit, the person that got the money from nowhere to be found and we couldn't get out money. Bottom line my uncle got tired of the case till date and the case is still in court. So you see how draining it can be when you get into wrong hands.

Scammers and fraudsters are everywhere both onoine and offline and people have been falling victim to buying a land , house and even a whole estate from fraudsters while loosing their hard earned money in the process , so you as an individual need to avoid being scammed by always making the neccesary research in knowing everything about the land you wanted to buy without rushing into any deal with scammers.

Some scammers are fond of telling people so send money for the properties they are yet to see and confirmed with their own eyes and people too tend to be too trustworthy by sending money for the things you are yet to confirm ,
And scammers will always gives you a lower price and an eye catching condition so that you will think the estate or the property is cheap and because you also are found of cheap and free things , you will just fall into their trap.
So stop buying cheap things and always confirm the authenticity before paying.

You are right I think some people just put themselves in harm's way sometimes because I don't get how you would pay for what you are yet to see. Why don't you just keep the money still you are ready to go see the property, be satisfied with what you see and then make payments and get all the documents that you should. There's nothing complex or complicated here. You need to employ common sense when you want to dive into any thing in life.

Scammers are all humans and they have studied human nature and know when to strike because they know humans are greedy beings. some people would see a deal that is just too good to be true and they fall for it. Yes there are some properties that the owners just want to fling due to one issue or another. But you need to find out before dumping your money.