Can an engineering course make you rich someday?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The title is actually the question of a graduating high school student who is still undecided on the college course to take. I suggested engineering, particularly civil or mechanical or even industrial, because those jobs are in demand even in this pandemic era. My cousin who is a civil engineer got very rich with his company that he started with only 2 staff. Now he employs more than 100 from engineers down to laborers. A mechanical engineer who lives in our area is into the maintenance of air conditioning units mostly for commercial establishments. I envy those guys because I know that if you handle your career very well you can get a good income from employment much more if you will go into business of your own.

I don't know if the high school student will heed my advice because he said that an engineering course takes 5 years while ordinary courses only take 4 years. Besides, an engineering course is more expensive than a computer course. Engineering took my attention when I saw some engineers with their good life. They have a nice home and a nice car which are proof that a career in engineering pays well.

That's right, it's best to study course that are in demand to be able to secure jobs. But there is one thing we should still understand, yes there are lots of persons who studied engineering and are living the good life or doing pretty well, yet there are still lots of persons who studied engineering but are not doing all that well, I know of some who are jobless, some strugging to survive, some can't even meet ends meet.

Educational leaders are focusing on STEM courses because these are the courses that will likely usher in further advancements and have higher employment rates. That is not to say that other courses will be useless or unprofitable. Certainly, all of these courses contribute to the advancement of our culture and economy. Graduates of any course can strive to make themselves rich. We can't really force people to take up a course for which they lack the inclination, aptitude, or talent. They will likely end up unhappy or frustrated. The issue isn't even the cost of taking the course because education is free or cheap in state universities and colleges and there are scholarship grants for students who meet the academic qualifications.​