Can Antidepressants Harm Your Heart?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Depression is one of the most common causes of life problems. There are many people who have been suffering from depression and the number of depressed people has been increasing a lot. This is due to various kinds of problems. Some of the common problems that cause depression is health problems, financial problems, and relationship problems. Many doctors use many medicines such as antidepressants to treat patients. I have heard that many antidepressants such as Tricyclic antidepressants might treat depression but it can ruin your heart health. Alternatively, many people also have the option to treat depression through SSRIs (Serotonin Re uptake Inhibitors). SSRIs are a category of antidepressants that are good for heart, according to some studies. But I have found some contradictory information about the effects of SSRIs on heart. Some studies suggest that SSRIs are good for heart but other studies showed that some SSRIs such as Escitalopram could be bad for heart. my question is related to Prozac (Fluoxetine). Do you think SSRIs could damage heart? Do you take antidepressants? have you felt a decline of your cardiovascular health after taking antidepressants?

These antidepressants are there to boost one's hormones such as serotonin, dopamine, and others and help to reduce the level of anxiety and depressions. Depression is real and I love the fact that you took your time to list some of the causes of anxiety out there as what we go through is not easy. I have not become so depressed or anxious that I will be on drugs. Although being on one is not bad but these drugs have their side effects.