Can i combine my job and study at the same time in Nigeria?

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
We all now the situation of things in this part of the world, African and west African and Nigeria precisely. Life is so tough that many of us were not opportuned to be sent to school by our parents that we had to fend for ourselves, without any financial support from any of our family members. All this was possible because we had to look for any kind of menial job that could help us to put body and soul together.

Now in the developed or advanced nations of the world we have heard of people who work and still study, their learning process is very easy and flexible that it is easy for students and individuals to combine their jobs and study and still come out of school with a very decent result. And at the same time their jobs are not been affected.

Hence I will like to know if that is applicable here in Nigeria aswel for those that schooled here and still managed to go to school at the same time was it an easy task, did you find it flexible? And did it not affect your job in anyway?. I have seen people dropped out of school to get a job due to financial challenges. Hence I will like to know if both cannot go hand in hand .

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Well, as a Nigerian myself I don't think a student will be able to maintain the same attention if he or she keeps a Job, you know most jobs you're going to find if you even manage to find any is going to be very demanding, maybe 9 to 5 or maybe a strenuous work labor, after you come back from your workplace you won't have time to read which will take a toll on your grades, I don't think it's a good idea to combine both but it's doable and I think it all boils down to the individual and his ability to manage stress.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It all depends on the level of the students. A secondary school in Nigeria may find it difficult to combine working and studying in Nigeria. But because it is not possible but secondary level in Nigeria takes away the time of the students and may not leave them with any chance of doing other activities. Meanwhile, there are some many people at the higher level that do even sponsor themselves in school because it is a bit earlier at thay level.

Kingstone

There are some jobs for students that will make it easier for them to concentrate more on their studies. Definitely, they will not engage in 9 to 5 jobs because it is impossible. It is easier to work overseas because they pay hourly. You can spare some of your time to work and get paid. This is so different here. If you do not have the money to start a business for yourself online or offline, it will be difficult to combine unless you want to have issues with grades.

Kingstone

There are some jobs for students that will make it easier for them to concentrate more on their studies. Definitely, they will not engage in 9 to 5 jobs because it is impossible. It is easier to work overseas because they pay hourly. You can spare some of your time to work and get paid. This is so different here. If you do not have the money to start a business for yourself online or offline, it will be difficult to combine unless you want to have issues with grades.

Mika

VIP Contributor
You can of course combine work and study, but it will be hard to excel in both. The time will come when you will have to choose one between these two. Furthermore, when you are earning, you are less likely to pay attention to your studies, therefore, you will not be able to excel in your studies.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I cannot speak of Nigeria, but here in my place it is quite difficult to juggle between study and work. You cannot excel with both at the same time. If you focus more on work, you won't get good grades because you will will not be giving enough time to study, and if you focus more on studies, you will be unable to give more time to work, therefore, your earnings will be limited. I think focus should be given in studies, so that you can graduate with good grades and build your knowledge and skills. Once you have proper knowledge and skills, you can start working.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
To be very honest with you it is not easy to combine studying and work together. the reason is that you are going to get your focus divided into two different things that are very important to you.

You will want to keep up with the rest of the world and be dedicated to your work. On the other hand you will also want to study hard so that you come out with a good grade at the end of the day's.

This is the problem with those who doesn't have sponsor or support from relatives while they are trying to put their life together for better.

You just need to sit down and plan properly and strike balance between your work and studying.

Kendy

Verified member
In Nigeria, most students especially in higher or tertiary institutions combine their academic activities and some good paying or menial jobs to fund themselves in school. The economic decline and incessant inflation have left students with little or no choice than to combine their school with jobs simultaneously. There are many students who schedule their time by working on part-time basis, where they mostly attend lectures and all other related academic activities during the day and go about their jobs in the evenings or nights as the case may be. So many students are now self sponsored and without combining jobs with their academic activities, they will not be able to fund their career and might become dropouts and considering the high cost of education even in Federal universities.

I believe you can also combine your activities with school work although you might not get the maximum efficiency desired in your academic activities because there have been division of your mindset, but it is much better to take up the challenge and wrestle the storm. You might opt for less challenging jobs like; home tutoring, selling of phone accessories, trading online, offering freelancing skills, teaching in your mother tongue, selling of fruits and thrift wears.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is very easy to combine your job with your academic activities . You really need to make sure that I have a very high sense of self discipline , and then be able to know how to combine the two and do appropriate planning so that you won't miss out on any of them at all .

There are people who make the mistake of focusing only on their jobs and do little work in their school work, and this is what makes it difficult for them and the later end up with bad grades at the end of the academic session because they did not focus .

I have seen a lot of students who are combining their jobs with academic activities , and they are still doing very well when it comes to their businesses and also their academics .

As a matter of fact, people who are in this kind of situation sometimes end up being the best set of students, because they are already aware of the fact that they don't have much time to waste and so they utilise any available time to study their books or even while doing their jobs .
It is a matter of self discipline that is the whole thing here.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
In whatever you're trying to do for yourself you shouldn't really depend on the government for anything over here because the government of our country is not really helping and won't really help you because if you have to depend on them you will be more disappointed than ever.

That is why in everything I do I have to try as much as possible to do it on my own and I do not have to involve the government because the government are not really interested to help , they are just interested in looting our resources to Western countries and inside their own private pocket.

As a Nigerian student you should try as much as possible to learn One online skill or the other because this is what can really help you to at least make some money even when you are still in school because you won't likely be able to work in any private business organisation over here and still concentrate in your education except there is a special provision that you have to work on night.

With Good online business you can have the opportunity to work on free time when you really have to and that is the greatest advantage.

Rachael

Verified member
Definitely, In Nigeria, the economy is stale and even students that have sponsors have seen the need to still take up a side hustle. It is very possible to combine your job and study at the same time but would be more flexible if you are either operating on a part-time job or part-time academic program. The curriculum of tertiary institutions in Nigeria is co complex that it might clash with a full time job which is why it is advisable to operate on a part-time basis. I engage in janitorial services and I clean for a living although I do not solely depend on it because I do not receive contracts or job offers everyday. Schooling in Nigeria has become a burden especially if you are in the public institutions.

The constant level of striking actions has made students loose interest in school and the government makes it seem like education is really not the key but skills because so many Nigerian students are into one skill or the other and this is very impressive because no matter how the authorities want to thwart the effort of the common man's children because theirs is abroad, we still find solace that we engage in different skills. I would suggest that you engage in some minimal jobs that might not take all the time or if possible, you should talk to the management so they could reason with your case and give you leverage to combine both without any infringement.

E

eldavis

In most cases it can be pretty difficult to combine both your business and education together here in Nigeria, but it is not Impossible. I have seen students who have jobs or are running their personal business and at the same time sorting out their education. These days, the internet has made it alot easier whereby there are so many things you can do online to make money while studying. To be able to do this, time management has come into play, make use of your time very well.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The truth is that anything is possible for a determined mind. it isn't only about this with other areas of life if you want to succeed at it you would. This is why it is always good to set your mind on the positive and believe that where others fail, vyou you can make it big.

As a Nigerian I can tell you for free that it isn't easy but it is doable. if you work with a good boss you can do the two without stress but with a difficult boss it might be difficult. 8r you might even attempt it but one of it would suffer really bad as your attention will be more on one of it.

The truth is that know what works for you and work with it. Don't follow others plan, do yours and you might just be the next success person that was able to combine both work and education and did the two well.