Customer Service Skills For Waiters and Waitresses

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Customer service skills are essential as you sell business products to a customer. In a restaurant, food and drinks are the main products sold. Those who sell them are the waiters and waitresses who are Frontline in interacting with customers.

Therefore, they need to have great customer service skills. In this thread, I have grouped customer service skills into four main parts;

1. Etiquette
  2. Proper communication
  3. Problem solving
  4. Feedback hunting

1. Etiquette - friendliness
There is power in smiling comfortably to a customer and using words such as welcome, sorry, please and excuse me. You immediately create rapport with them and they will feel comfortable being served by you. At every step of your service to them, remember to use etiquette, no matter how difficult some customers can be.

2. Proper communication

For you to communicate properly, you need to show a lot of confidence. Stand straight, maintain eye contact and speak audibly.

Another important thing about communication is that you need to pass on full information. Tell the customers everything about the food and any other information exhaustively.

3. Problem solving.

Some issues may occur during the service. I remember one time when I was a waitress, a customer found a housefly in her food. That was so terrifying, to both she and I. I could see that she was mad. But I calmly said sorry and offered to take the food off the table. Then I offered the customer to allow the chef to serve fresh food for her. She said she agreed to it because I had solved the matter calmly and not with quarrels or ego.

There are so many other problems you come across in a restaurant and as a waiter, you need to be equipped with problem solving skills.

4. Feedback hunting.

Lastly, you need to seek for feedback after your customers are done. How was the food? Did you have any trouble? What changes do you like to see? Such questions opens a door for customers to express themselves for better services in future..

These customers service skills will give a restaurant an edge over other competitors. And it can earn a waiter or waitress a good tip!

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Positive attitude: Maintain a positive attitude at all times and be willing to help customers with any requests they may have.

Active listening: Pay attention to what customers are saying and respond accordingly.

Good communication: Be able to communicate effectively and clearly with customers, co-workers, and managers.

Empathy: Show empathy and understanding when dealing with difficult customers or situations.

Problem-solving: Be able to think on your feet and come up with solutions to any problems that may arise.

Time management: Be able to manage your time effectively, and work efficiently under pressure.

Attention to detail: Pay close attention to details, such as customer orders and special requests.

Knowledge of menu: Be familiar with the menu and be able to make recommendations to customers.

Flexibility: Be able to adapt to changing situations and be willing to go the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction.

Teamwork: Be able to work well with other team members and support each other to ensure a positive customer experience.

Follow up: Follow up with customers to ensure they are satisfied with their experience.

Professionalism: Maintain a professional demeanor at all times and adhere to dress code and grooming standards.