Do you really need a degree to step into marketing

D

Deleted member 13140

I think that marketing is definitely a self-taught skill and it's about intuition, practice, and a million other non-degree skills.

It doesn't matter if you have a marketing degree or not, if you want to jump into marketing to advertise your business or your product you don't need a degree though, to work for companies you probably need it, but for yourself you don't necessarily need it.

I saw a comment on Twitter, the guy said his two songs has marketing degrees, one of them has a PG in it. And him he has no degree whatsoever, but he earns more than the both all together.
You don't need a degree to step into anything these days i think.
But yeah marketing being a practical subject, it is better learned with execution and experiments rather than a degree. Marketing is all about experiments and testing, over and over again, there is no degree attached to that.

Degree never mattered, But surely experience does.

Good luck

Verified member
To be frank and candid,you don't really need a higher school degree to step into marketing,what you need is skills and some forms of orientation and you are good to go.someone can be trained to be a very good marketer in the market and the person will do fine in the business.s o it not by degree only but by intelligent.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
A lot of people who do not have a business or School degree can still run a business perfectly ,sometimes business can be run based on the talent an individual has for the business, apart from degree there are other important factors to be considered when establishing a business such as passion, location, Capital and other things.

Carson20t

There are exceptions that will require paper work like working in a formal institution like a bank or other cooperate company.Despite the skills you have you will still need to be an accredited marketer.
But generally you can still be a good marketer even without the credentials or degree attached to it.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
You don't need to earn a degree before you can become prolific with marketing. I have some people who engage in other profession when they are doing the first degree and they are not doing good with their marketing. Marketing just like any other skill can be learnt by anyone. You just have to be ready to apply what you learn to have experience.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This is when the issue of skill come into place. Youonly need skill to convince you to buy your ideas and whatever you want to market. But the fact is that education is always a shaper. The way someone that is educated will be marketing will surely different from illiterate

kayode10

VIP Contributor
You don't need a degree before you become a marketer. It is a skill which can be learn. One of the fastest way to learn about marketing is to look for a marketing agency and apply as an intern in order to learn and I have real life experience about marketing. You must be open up to any task so as to learn faster.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It will even amaze us to notice that most people that are even learning marketing in the high school are not that proficient when it comes to the practical aspect of it. This is to tell us that it is not about the degree but persuasive one can be by nature.

Jonaville

Most of the business men and women I have come across do not have a degree, yet they got the very best out of marketing. Marketing does not require any level of degree whatsoever, otherwise most of the people who are not educated would just be jobless. But such is not the case.

Mika

VIP Contributor
More than a degree you need skills and knowledge, however, you will develop skills and knowledge only through education and training. If you don't go to college how would you develop knowledge. If you don't go for training how would you develop skills? Therefore it is important to attend college.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
More than a degree you need skills and knowledge, however, you will develop skills and knowledge only through education and training. If you don't go to college how would you develop knowledge. If you don't go for training how would you develop skills? Therefore it is important to attend college.
What an apt answer but let me widen the scope of your point. Remember that marketing is not a new concept but as old as man. Then there was a no education and people stil marketed their goods. This is to show that knowledge is not limited to college. We have informal knowledge and skill as well.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Though skills is what really matters when its come to marketing. Some times when somebody only get degree without skills will just be useless . Although sometimes people without education may not know some rules and regulation guiding the marking body.
So I will say that its better to posses the two no matter how small it may be .