Doctors Vs Nurses: Who is superior?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
This is a very controversial topic that I want us to discuss here . And it also will serve as an enlightenment threa to a lot of people that are completely ignorant about this , so that they do not continue living in ignorant as they used to be anymore .

Personally I do not believe in such talks about doctors being superior to nurses all nurses being inferior to doctors at all .

One reason why I always think like this is that , if you cannot differentiate who is a superior between a mechanical engineer and a civil engineer, then you also cannot talk about who is a superior between a doctor and a nurse . This is just one perfect perspective I want all of us to look at .

I am of the opinion that both nurses and doctors are members of unique professions , and they all have a role to play in health care delivery to contribute and impact the society .

As a matter of fact , nurses are not in any way inferior to doctors and doctors are not in any way superior to nurses . This is due to the fact that they all passed through different training environment and have different roles to play in the hospital.

What do you think?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
A medical doctor, is highly knowledgeable in all things medical, while nurses are limited to the information they receive from them. The doctors are the ones who diagnoses patients and prescribes treatments. Nurses then administer those treatments and monitor patient progress based on their orders.

Nurses are not qualified to evaluate patients or prescribe treatment options. If a patient needs something that only a doctor can prescribe, for instance, a nurse cannot determine that for themselves. They must contact a doctor on seat for permission before giving the medication to the patient.

Nurses give injections, insert IVs, put on casts and splints, and change bandages based on doctor's directions. Nurses do not make decisions regarding these tasks because they lack the knowledge to do so, even if they do, having learnt from the doctors over time, they still require permission from the doctor.

If a nurse recommends a treatment that is different from what he has prescribed, it is up to him to determine whether the nurse's recommendation is appropriate or not. Again, only him has the medical knowledge necessary to make this decision.

In short, doctors always know better than nurses do because of their superior medical training and knowledge base.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Everybody will definitely understand that a doctor is more knowledgeable and more academically qualified than a nurse, well in the nursing school there are so many things that are being put into consideration and if you are getting into the university to study nursing you will be more advanced but even with that there are some limitation that is associated with nursing. Sometimes on rare circumstances there is a possibility that some nurses are given the permission to administer drugs , but as I said earlier it is only rare circumstances and only when on emergency . But generally doctors control whatever is happening in the hospital and nurses are expected to act according to the instructions of the doctors .

Nurses are only being trained on how to handle some things like accident and other emergency , but medical doctors are being trained on so many complicated things about the human's body from the biochemistry of the human body to all body functions. They are also been trained on drugs that should be given at a particular period of time depending on what is happening and so many other things which indicate that a doctor is more higher than a nurse even when both of them are in the medical field.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
While trying to point out the vital roles everyone plays, we must never forget to agree with the fact that medical doctors are more knowledgeable and have undergone or passed through a kind of training which is more rigorous than that of nurses.

I understand that nurses always feel undermined by medical doctors and that is why we have this disparency. I actually agree to the fact that no one should have that superiority and inferiority complex since both sides have their own roles to play which are very vital and interdependent.

But if we are to face the actual reality, a nurse is supposed to actually receive instructions from the doctor and this is because the knowledge which a doctor has secured is beyond that which a nurse has.
But to unify everything, I think everyone should drop that issue of superiority and work judiciously hand in hand because everyone plays an irreplaceable role.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
Neither. Both doctors and nurses play essential roles in the healthcare system and are equally important. Doctors typically have more specialized medical training and are responsible for diagnosing and treating patients, while nurses provide essential care and support to patients. Both professions require a high level of skill and dedication to provide quality care to patients.