Effects of Extensive use of Smartphone

Jasz

VIP Contributor
In recent years, more and more evidence has surfaced that shows a link between the use of mobile devices and mental health problems.

In 2016, the World Health Organization recognized "gaming disorder" as a real illness that can have severe consequences for its sufferers. Two years later, in 2018, smartphones were listed as one of the chief causes of gaming disorder, alongside other internet-dependent technologies.

Specifically, the problem is that many people who spend too much time on their phones show signs of higher stress levels, lower attention spans, and poorer relationships with friends and family members. This can lead to depression and anxiety disorders.

One study showed that people who used their phones for an average of six hours per day were twice as likely to report symptoms of depression than those who didn't use their phones at all. Similarly, another study showed that the more time high school students spent on social media, the more likely they were to report feeling stressed or depressed.

Do you know the blue light emitted by smartphones and other screens can interfere with sleep patterns and cause eye strain. What about the radiation from smartphones that can lead to cancer and other terminal diseases?

Even if you're not addicted to your phone, it's important to manage your screen time so you can be healthy and happy in real life! I feel people are not taking this seriously because the damages occur in a more stealth way. Personally, I would stay away from smartphones, if it isn't a means of making money for me..

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Smartphones really cause so many health problems. Yet they are so hard to leave given that we use them for so many things. For me, it is my device for making money online and so I have to always be on my phone for a long time. It is so hard to keep off of it.

What I have done now is that I have enabled features in the phone that helps protect my eyes like the eye care feature and also reducing the brightness level of my phone. That helps reduce the effects it has on the eyes. Also, I don't use my phone in bed as it can affect my sleep.

It is unfortunate that the phones emit radiation rays that are carcinogenic. How I hope that the phone manufacturers could reduce these ray levels or just make sure that they are not emitted. Otherwise, it is our duty to also reduce the time we use on them.

For your mental health, it is important that you avoid taking seriously what you see in social media sites. You can even use your phone to study ways to improve your mental health. Also, don't spend too much time on your phone. Find time to socialize with friends and family.

Ayeshabashir

Smartphone addiction is now becoming the common problem all around the world which cause many health related issues and problems. People spent their a lot time in mobile phone .They always carry smartphone in their hands which is not good at all.
Giving mobile phone to your child proves very harmful because the mobile rays are very dangerous for child's eyes also it weeken the child's shoulders muscle. And due to this it might be possible that your child will face eyesight problems.

People who spent a lot time in social media have very low interaction with their family and they will mostly prey of depression and stress.They do not want to intimate with other members and also do very small face to face interaction .These kind of people always involve in anxiety and stressful conditions.
Due to giving too much screening time to mobile proves very harmful not only for children but also for people of any age.

So, I suggest you to everyone that try to avoid the habit of using mobile phone all the time ,use only when needed and try to spent your time with your friennds and families instead of using mobile because it helps you a lot in reducing depression .

Last edited: