For choosing a college course, is it the money or the passion that should dictate?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Passion means a career that you like and would enjoy. Most of the veterinary medicine student said so that they took the course because they are fond of animals. On the contrary, one student who is taking a course in engineering said that civil engineers get rich from their career. But he admitted that he does not love the engineer’s job.

I have this question if you are the student to enter college, what course would you take and how is it related to your passion? When I took the programming course in IBM it was my father’s dictate because of the high salary. For me, it is just another career that I cannot say I love. Fortunately I later realized that the high salary is one factor for liking the job.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
While choosing a course in school. The two should be considered. There is no one that wants to go to school without the aim of making money after the whole lot of time spent on school. However, passion should be the major factor that will let someone choose a career.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
To chose a course in the school one need to considered first; passion for what some body wanted to and after then the money to start should be considered.
Am saying this because if some one did not passion for the course doing its very possible that one will just waste money on the course without any good outcome.

Ummigal

I will say both. Although passion seems to be more important with regards to pursuing a career. However even if there's a passion for the work and you are being remunerated very little the passion soon diminishes off or you been forced to change niche. Money is also a very important Factor in choosing a career

Putta Vince

I prefer working in jobs that are high paying rather than relying on my passion. Because we are living in the world where money is very important, it can even save anyone's life. So once I make enough money from a high paying job which I may not be actually interested like coding or software related jobs , I can quit the job and start doing new job which is my passion like farming or cooking as a chef , which maybe low paying but I should also live for my passion.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I was passionate about literature. If I had pursued literature, I would not have been able to may my life ends. Therefore, I chose to study something that could make me a lot of money and I could live an easy life. LIfe is a rate race, you cannot do everything for your personal happiness.

Putta Vince

I was passionate about literature. If I had pursued literature, I would not have been able to may my life ends. Therefore, I chose to study something that could make me a lot of money and I could live an easy life. LIfe is a rate race, you cannot do everything for your personal happiness.
Once we are successful in making money from the job we may not like , we can start concentrating on our passion as well , like in your case it is literature. Mine is still farmhouse business but I am not sure how good it will be to make decent money from selling plants and herbs and it should also earn me big money.

Good luck

Verified member
The passion should be the major key point because if you don't have passion for something,you will not have a good mindset to achieve something reasonable from it.you must believe in the course you want to study,that will make you to study hard to put in your very best in it.After having a good passion on it then you can think of the Momentary value

Putta Vince

The passion should be the major key point because if you don't have passion for something,you will not have a good mindset to achieve something reasonable from it.you must believe in the course you want to study,that will make you to study hard to put in your very best in it.After having a good passion on it then you can think of the Momentary value
That's right. Once we know our passion , we will definitely find more opportunities to earn money from our passion , from multiple ways and therefore it can satisfy our monitory needs as well as personal and job satisfaction. One should not go behind only money especially when the person is young and yet to face the real world.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
You need to look for a course that you are passionate about and also offers you money. In other words, you need to study the course that you are interested on and also study a course that can bring you money. Never choose just one option, passion or money, you will regret later in life.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Gone are the days where you will see people chasing their passion in the higher institution, the applications that the higher institutions receive yearly in Nigeria is so overwhelming and for this reasonn students will have to face a very stiff competition to get their desired course. And in most cases they do not eventually get it due to the corruption in the system. You may even beat the cut off mark and still not get the admission as was my case when I applied to a university in the southern part of my country. After writing the entrance entrance, I was opportune to beat the cut off mark and my parents felt so good likewise myself. So I thought I will get the admission without any hassle. And to my greatest surprise we say them released the merit list and my name was not found on it, neither was my name found on all other subsequent list that was realised. And eventually I was not admitted that particular year and had to reapply to another university the following year. Before I was granted admission and still it was not the course of my choice as they changed it during the registration phase.

So people choose courses solely because of money and it is not about passion anymore.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
The course I studied in the university is mainly of passion, had it been i went for civil engineering I could've regretted it today. I am a sports lover, such made me to go into a course related to my passion, and today I graduated happily, even though the certificate gonna land me to teaching here in my country, I don't care about it, all that matters to me is the satisfaction of what I choose to study in the university without regret. I also pursuing a career in football, which I've been working on since my childhood days, and currently I am playing in amateur team, hoping to move to the next faze of my dream career in football very soon. I am not in a hurry to do that, since I have plans to move forward with my soccer dream when the time comes forth later in the future.

Rachael

Verified member
Sadly, the money should not even be a determinant factor but this is the reality that money acts as a yardstick when choosing a college course. Many years ago when I sought admission in a public institution to read Law which was always my passion, I had reached the cut-off mark for that year, but due to some yardstick that were used in the selection process because, there was a very limited number of persons that were granted admission, I was not shortlisted and this affected me in such a way that I cannot describe. I was forced to sit for another exams the following year and to boycott the same circumstance that had happened the previous year, I had to apply for an educational course because for sure, I would be given admission.

I hate to say but in public universities, education is regarded as the mother of all faculties, yet it is also a dumping ground for those who did not get admission in their most preferred course and this is due to the way teachers are being maltreated. If I had the money available, I would definitely opt for a private school where I can read my desired course and which is also free from every striking actions.

blessingc

Dreams are based on goals that can be achieved, information about how to achieve such goals, and deep knowledge about it can drive students that have passion or deep interest for their goals to go for or to choose a course of study related to their dreams.

Some parents think it is best to choose a course they believe is the best for their children without realizing there aren't doing what the children desire and are passionate about.

Some students could study a course because they have a sponsor who cleans up their school finances neatly for them so, they don't have to worry chooses for them yet questions of what their future will look like baffles them. They wonder what will become of them when they are done schooling, done studying what they never had passion for.

If a person's ability does not support the course they like they need to look for alternative that will suit what they desire. What you study should be your dream and what you love less it becomes a problem for you in the future. Not everyone can study every course, some people are good at any course, whether there be passion or not, they can study it for you come out in flying colors and go back to study what they are passionate about.

Today's challenging economy has been very harsh for students who are hoping to attend higher education to further their studies and hopefully, get better jobs after graduating.
Now people contemplate what to study that will give them a job in such a society that doesn't encourage rather kills the dreams of young people.

Passion is necessary when it comes to a course of study for a student to succeed in his/her academics

moneyteam

It depends on what's most important to you. If you're passionate about a particular subject or field, then choosing a college course that aligns with your interests can help ensure that you enjoy your studies and have a better chance of success. But if you're primarily motivated by money, then choosing a college course that leads to high paying jobs may be your best bet. Ultimately, it's important to consider all factors before making a decision so that you can choose the option that's right for you.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
I don't really know of other people but if I am to decide it on my own , I will go for things I would love to do. But not just like that, the thing I would love to do must also be able to generate profit. That is very important and if I don't really have profit in what I'm doing then that is just a waste of time and i won't be able to feed myself or family.

That is why in whatever I am trying to study in the university I'll try as much as possible to make sure I go for things I have an interest to do because having an interest on something indicate that you are passionate about it and you are ready to succeed in what you are doing as much as possible.

What I have come to understand is that so many people who are just choosing something based on the fact that the thing is able to generate money may not be particularly interested about it passionately and as a result they will only be doing it based on the fact that they're just interested to make money and that's all , which in most cases it is not always the best option

Abigael

Valued Contributor
In this economy, most students will choose jobs according to the high salary than their passion for it. Personally, I chose my Public Health course because my mother Said that it is marketable in my country and it pays well. Now after graduating, I realize that I am not really passionate about it.

The good thing is that my passion is teaching and so I still have room for training so that I can teach what I studied in campus to students in higher institutions. Some people don't get a chance to switch to what they love later on in life. So they just suck up and do something they don't love doing.

It is best to try and combine good salary and passion when choosing a course to study. If you have already gotten into a job you don't like but pays well, try as much as possible to love what you do. I am sure that the passion will grow with time.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
The most important thing I will put into consideration here is the location. Over here in Nigeria I'll just say that going for thing based on your passion may just be a pure waste of time except what you are choosing is on high demand.

For example , if you're going for things in the medical field or maybe any other demanding courses in Nigeria the chance of getting employment is higher.

If you are choosing things based on the fact that you really have passion for it , in most cases you may not likely get employment and at the end of the day you will just be like someon that is not qualify academically.

Now putting the economy and the whole situation of my country into consideration , I will definitely go for things based on the fact that it is high demanding and the possibility of getting employment is higher.

This will be a different case entirely especially if I am staying in a location in which there is high rate of employment that whatever you studied in the university the chance of you getting employee is higher. In such a situation I will definitely go for things I am passionate about . That's how I just see it.