How do you handle a supplier who is exploiting you?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Business is very tricky at times. You may be thrown into a position where you have to make hard decisions devoid of sentiments. I was introduced to honey business by my aunt. She gave me my first supply and I was able to sell out. That's how my journey into the honey business started. I have always asked my aunt to give me the contact of the supplier of the honey. She refused insisting that I order through her. I have been ordering from her all along at a given price.

Through some interactions with people, I was able to get the source where she gets the honey from. I found out that she has been exploiting me. She gives me honey almost double the price from the supplier. I ordered from this source at a much cheaper rate. The challenge is, given that she introduced me to the business and I might need her in the future, how do I stop getting supplies from her without damaging the relationship we have? That is both family and business relationships.

Knowlopedia

Valued Contributor
It can be difficult to confront a supplier who is exploiting you, but it is important to do so in order to protect your business. Here are some tips on how to handle a supplier who is exploiting you:

1. Be clear about what you expect from the supplier. Make sure that you have a clear contract that outlines the terms of your agreement.

2. Be direct in your communication with the supplier. Explain what you feel is unfair and why.

3. Try to negotiate a fair solution. If the supplier is unwilling to budge, you may need to find a new supplier.

4. If all else fails, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or your local chamber of commerce.

E

eldavis

Instead of trying to look for ways to handle such suppliers, i would advice you simply look for another supplier. Personally for me once i discover this if i try talking to him about it and there is no positive change then i would simply look for someone else, i don't really have that strength to start looking ways to deal with him, cause doing that would end up taking away my peace of mind.

Heartstrings

I'm surprised you still consider how you can keep such a supplier because of the future,if I were you,I will dismiss such person immediately, definitely there are so many good suppliers out there,infact if you check and do your assignment well,they may be one that is far much better than she do with both loyalty and steadfastness.

Be it family or friends relationship,I would be straight forward on what I expect from you, and if I find out you are exploiting me without consideration of even as us been family and no remorse? I would simply and peacefully discharge you and look for someone better.

I don't just know why she insisted you order from her and the simple explanation it's because of whatever she is gaining from you financially,pls don't let her ride you intentionally and emotionally,, this is one of the advantages of doing business with a family member,even if it can happen with anybody.