How to Be Employable in Your Field

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Don't stop learning

You may have had a job before, but you've never been an employee. If you want to be employable in your field, you need to learn more about the job and the industry. Find out what it takes to succeed as an employee.

Look for mentors

It's not easy to find someone who has already achieved the same goal as you. But if you're willing to put in some work, look for someone who has made it in your field and ask them for help or advice. You can also look online for mentoring opportunities and meetups where people are working towards the same goals as you.

Find out how employers hire

If you want to become more employable, then it's important that you know how employers hire new staff members and what skills they look for in candidates. This will give you a clearer idea on what type of skillset is required by employers in your field.

If you want to become employable in your field, there are two main things you need to do.

The first is to find out what skills and knowledge are needed for the job you want.

The second is to acquire those skills and knowledge as quickly as possible.

What skills and knowledge are needed for the job?

You can find this out by looking at the job advertisement (if there is one) or by checking with an employer who's hiring already. Here are some of the skills and ,knowledge that are often included:

- technical skills such as programming or website design;

- communication skills;

- business skills such as negotiation;

- problem solving;

- teamwork; and so on.

Finally, One of the best ways to become employable in your field is to get a job in that field.

If you want to be a programmer, then you should learn how to program. If you want to be a doctor, then you should spend time shadowing doctors and learning about medicine.

If you want to be an accountant, then study accounting. If you want to be an engineer, then go get an engineering degree.

To be employable in your field, it would be beneficial if you could answer the following questions:

1) What is my field?
2) What are the skills necessary to excel at this field?
3) What are my competitive advantages?
4) Who are potential employers or clients in this field?
5) How can I demonstrate that I have these skills and competitive advantages to potential employers or clients in this industry?

1. What is my field? The fields of study are endless, but do some research to determine what area that you're most interested in pursuing. Keep in mind what type of work interests you the most.

2. What are the skills necessary to excel in this field? Is it management-related, research-related, programming, writing, design or some other skill? Think about the skills you have developed in each area of your life. What skills do you need to develop for this field?

3. What are my competitive advantages? What sets you apart from others who want to work in the same industry as you? How could these competitive advantages be used as an asset in your career or business?

4. Who are potential employers or clients in this field? Do some research on who would hire or buy products and services that relate to this field of study.

5. How can I demonstrate that I have these skills and competitive advantages to potential employers or clients in this industry?

For example, one student may want to be a sports writer, but does not know how to do research through newspapers and magazines. Therefore, the student may need to look for an internship or other paid work experience for two years. The student could take on-the-job training or teach students about the college's sports team. For example, the student could volunteer to write for the school paper during your sophomore year in order to obtain experience in sports writing.

If one wants to be employable in one's field, one must;
  • have a good understanding and knowledge about that field because one's knowledge will be tested. One shouldn't just seek employment simply because he or she is familiar with that field.
  • be willing to learn. We learn new things everyday, one should be willing to learn new things about that field and one should always ask questions about the field.

Don't stop learning

You may have had a job before, but you've never been an employee. If you want to be employable in your field, you need to learn more about the job and the industry. Find out what it takes to succeed as an employee.

Look for mentors

It's not easy to find someone who has already achieved the same goal as you. But if you're willing to put in some work, look for someone who has made it in your field and ask them for help or advice. You can also look online for mentoring opportunities and meetups where people are working towards the same goals as you.

Find out how employers hire

If you want to become more employable, then it's important that you know how employers hire new staff members and what skills they look for in candidates. This will give you a clearer idea on what type of skillset is required by employers in your field.
These are good tips, especially the first one. If I could add something, it would also help to learn outside of your career industry. Presenting yourself as a 'jack-of-all-trades' would probably increase the chances of you getting hired. The extra skills you learn could also help in internal situations as well.

Although in choosing a job, it would be better if it is in accordance with the skills and expertise we have, but to meet the needs of a person's life, especially fresh graduates, will work anything so that he can make money, for example someone who has skills in the field of law but works as a cook who helps head chef at a restaurant. But after she has the opportunity she will move to a lawyer firm, even though she has a lower salary but she will be able to improve her skills in the law field that she likes.