How to build a freelancing career?

Mika

VIP Contributor
How to build a freelancing career is one of the common questions asked on Google (also on Yahoo, Bing, etc.), YouTube, and Online Communities (forums, discussion boards, social media, etc.).Even on this platform, you can see a lot of discussion going around on the topic of freelancing. From what I have read here on this site, I have found that most of the people are just proselytizing or castigating, they don’t have real experience. Therefore, I am attempting to share a real-life case.

I made my first money online from a freelancing platform. I heard of the freelancing platform oDesk back in 2014, later the company acquired Elance and rebranded as Upwork. I joined the site in 2018, but I did not start using the site until 2020. I am fairly successful on Upwork.

How did I manage to become fairly successful?

I have professional skills. I design and develop websites, apps, and software.

I have experience in the relevant field. Before I started working on Upwork, I already had worked on a lot of companies.

I attended courses on Digital Marketing and SEO to enhance my skills.

I learned how to write job proposals and pitch ideas better.

I lowered my rates to increase the chance of getting hired

I continued bidding on jobs and never lost hope.

Freelancing platform is one of the very good ways to make money online regardless of your location, identity and race. With a freelancing site, you do work for clients according to your expertise and get paid as soon as your job is done. Over the years, we have seen a boost on these platforms and more people are signing up everyday in this money making platform. All what is required is your skills and what you're ready to offer to clients and with just a mobile phone and an internet connection, you can work on these platforms without having to pay a fine. Platforms like fiverr and upwork are at the top of the game when it comes to freelancing. Fiverr, being one of the most used freelance site is a place where clients are connected to business owners, individuals and college students who has one or two services to render at an affordable price tag. You need not worry about getting scammed as this is done automatically. If you intend to start a freelancing career, I'll advice you to first of all think about what you can do or what you have to render to people that'll make them run to you. It can be video editing, YouTube video introduction, artworks, copy writing, animations, etc and everything digitally possible. Choose a good gig and then signup on one these platform to get started. When you get your first client, make sure you try your best to make he/she satisfied and ask for a review if possible on order to boost your search on the platform and increase clients.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Before I started working as a freelancer on Fiverr, I was already earning from influencer marketing and youtube. Since I was scammed a couple of times when I took orders from social sites escrow fees were too high, I decided to join Fiverr. On Fiverr, I started selling social media promotion, digital marketing, and influencer marketing services. Actually I started selling the same thing that I was already selling through my social pages. However, working on FIverr was more beneficial because I could take orders for $5-$10 and did not have to worry about the payment because the site handled payment for me. When I was selling well on FIverr, I thought it would be better if I had a website. I crated a website and tried to connect with my existing clients through my website. This helped me to excel my freelancing career. I will not say I make a lot of money, but what I am proud of is I left my high paying job in an ad agency to become a freelancer and there had not been a single day when I had to regret my decision. In fact even during Covid lockdown. I had lot of jobs to do.

King bell

VIP Contributor
Freelancing is a great way to earn money and work on your own terms. However, it's not easy to get started. There are many ways you can build your freelancing career. You can start with building your portfolio and then move up from there. You can also learn how to promote yourself, find the right clients, or even learn how to price yourself appropriately.