How to identify a fake job

Holicent

VIP Contributor
If you're looking for a job, it's important to know how to identify a fake.

If you're applying for a job in the tech industry and it seems too good to be true, chances are it is. Job boards like Indeed and Glassdoor have become notorious for listing fake jobs — often with massive compensation packages.

I've always assumed they were scams, but now I'm not so sure. I've seen some fairly convincing fakes on these sites, and there are a few ways to tell them apart from real jobs.

The first thing to look at is the offer itself. When you see an ad that looks too good to be true, ask yourself: Is this offer realistic? If the salary offered is significantly higher than what you expect, or if the company description doesn't match up with what its employees say about their day-to-day lives there, then that job may be a scam. Asking around will help confirm whether or not this impression is accurate.

Another red flag is if the job posting has multiple copies of itself listed on different websites — especially on niche sites like AngelList (which caters specifically towards startups) or Hacker News (where users post questions about various topics). If you notice multiple copies then you should advise yourself.