How To Market An Outdated Product In The Market?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Marketing any kind of specific product is never an easy thing to do. There are many companies that are having a really bad time when it comes to marketing a product. marketing each and specific product has its own challenges. For example, you may need to target some specific people and even sell of your products at lower prices in order to get the attention of the customers in the market. Whenever we think about marketing any kind of item, we think about any items that has been launched recently in the market. However, what many people do not think is that there are many old products as well that might need to be marketed in the market.

I believe that marketing outdated products is far much more harder because as people are evolving, their needs and perceptions about products have changed, too. For example, there were many people in the past that used phones that never had any sort of colored-display. It would be almost impossible to sell such kind of phone right now, as we have far much more superior phones with latest software! However, do you really think that selling an outdated product is actually a possibility? How would you do that?

This reminds me of the time that I had my retailing business of computer supplies. Whenever we would order a batch of diskettes the delivery would include cassette tapes for free. The store attendant said that the cassette tapes are obsolete because the CD is now out in the market. We didn't expect that the diskette would also be obsolete although it took more years before that happened. Maybe the reason for giving away the cassette tapes is to make it easier for the marketing people because they already know that no one is buying the tape anymore. Instead of trying hard to sell they just try to dispose of the product so their storage will have a vacant space.

When a product becomes outdated such a product will naturally lose some value and if it was consumables then it will be wasted because no one will be able to consume a spoilt items and it will be detrimental to the health of anyone who consumes such a product. I know some wicked wholesalers and retailers who does not want to suffer the burnt the loses will immediately go against the standard expiry date as inscribed by the manufacturer and they will change it and input a new date so as to enable them to still sell it to an unsuspecting consumer, who will later consume such product and eventually develop some health challenges and unknown to them that the product they had taken was expired.

But one can still manage to market a product whose due date has past only with the consent of the buyer and for this reason automatically the price of such item will certainly be lower. This is even common with most of those product they sell on the street as non testable, And there are some cars and electronics that is been sold in like manner. People who purchase knows exactly what they are buying.

When Nokia relaunched its keypad phone models a couple of years ago, it was like trying to resurrect obsolete products that are no longer relevant to the current generations of smartphone users. Relaunching those old models is one way of clearing its warehouses of non-moving inventories. While people usually buy phones with powerful specs to support their online activities, keypad phones can still be marketed as backup phones. People who have used Nokia phones in the past know that they are sturdy and reliable. They can be used for taking and making long calls without the battery dying after two or three hours. They are convenient to use because they don't require charging on a daily basis. They can even last a week if not used for calling or extended messaging. These phones support the most basic features for getting in touch with people and are way cheaper than modern phones.​