How To Run A Bakery In A Rural Area?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Running a bakery is not that easy because you must keep a good record of all the products. In my country bakery does not mean that you must have baked items and other kind of confectionaries like pastries, cakes, etc. Many local bakeries in my country also have other kinds of items such as eggs, milk, bread, chips, etc. However, big bakeries only have cup cakes, cakes, and pastries. However, bakeries in village area consist of substandard items because they are made from unhygienic products. Do you think that starting a bakery in rural areas is actually a good idea? This is because many uneducated folks in my country do not visit such bakeries in city and they chances are that the business will fail in rural area because rural areas consist of uneducated people in my country.

It is not about rural areas, it is about the demand of the people and good marketing. People start business when they notice people are asking for such a product in a particular place while some start in an odd place and do good marketing. If a good marketing is done, you can sell your bakery in the rural area.

Before you start a bakery in rural areas, you need to check whether there is a demand for bakery products or not. IN case there is demand for bakeries, you need to find out what bakery items are in demand. This is called market research. You also need to find about the existing bakery business, check their products, pricing, sales, market reach, etc. This is called market analysis. When the market looks favorable, and when there is no stiff competition, you can start developing a marketing plan. Your plan should be clear on how you will market, what platform you use, etc.

Well I’m my country, it is starting to seem like bakery business is booming more in a rural area than an urban locations, so there are some local bakeries that would prefer to stay local in places like that because of the massive income they are making from there. It might sound crazy, but you would not believe it if you see how much profits they are making from it. Do you know that even some of these big business brands do have great interest in areas like that too, and they are always ready to go to any extent, and ready to spend any amount of money to get a branch in places like that

Although we might think business in the rural environment generally will not do so well as compared to the urban areas. While it seems though that life in the cities are more expensive and hence business will make a very sharp progress as compared to that of the rural environment, that does not outrightly imply that the rural environment will not do so well. If one is very good in the production of the products and very consistent there will certainly be good sales level. And infact a bakery set up in the rural environment stand a Better chance because there will be less competition as compared to the city where one may encounter a lot of competition and those will pose a major challenge of how to outshine one's competitors.

So having a bakery in the rural environment is equally good as setting it up in the urban areas one wil most like enjoy a kind of monopolistic attention in the rural areas as compared to urban cities where much input will be needed to project ones business to the general public. Again the standard of living in the cities are higher this will also Jack up the cost of production which may not eventually reflect much on the selling price due to competition.

There are rural towns with many residents although the homes are not near each other. In the farm of my niece the residents live apart like there are several lots in between the homes. That kind of rural area has many residents. There are also rural areas that I saw where the residents are too few that you can count in your fingers the people that you know in the community.

With a business of consumer products you need the demand not only little demand but big demand because you are producing a product. A bakery needs a big number of customers. In our village one bakery store said that they can sell 1,000 pieces of bread and the profit is very small that it can only pay the rent and the attendant. Now, think of how many bread can you sell in a rural area that is your target. The costing should show that you can pay the labor force and the rest of the overhead.

A bakery alone doesn't seem to be as profitable nowadays with the rising costs of flour and ingredients and the decreasing purchasing power of consumers in many places. Price hikes often result in decreased sales and patronage. Competition is also making this business quite challenging. Most bakery owners in urban and suburban areas combine the bakery business with other products or services such as a noodle house, snack house, or mini grocery store. The same approach can be taken in rural areas. The demographics of the target location should be considered when determining the appropriate products or combination of products as well as the size and operating levels of the business. Some bakeries operate in a small selling area and deliver bread products to other businesses in different locations. A bakery can be profitable in rural areas when there is no competition and if it has special products that may appeal to residents.​