How to Trade Forex Using Multiple Time Frame Analysis

Forex92

Before entering any trade, one should perform multiple time frame analysis. Regrettably, many traders prefer to trade only one time frame. As a result, they spend most of their time reviewing charts for their time frame, ignoring the “Bigger Picture.” A more realistic method would be to look at multiple time frames for high-probability trading situations.

Multiple time frame analysis might be intimidating and perplexing for a new trader. On a 1-minute chart of the EUR/USD, for example, the pair seems to be in a downtrend. On a daily chart, the currency pair has been on an uptrend for years. Who is right? Is the EUR/USD pair rising or falling? Also, time frames don't always correspond, and trends vary throughout time intervals. For these reasons, and others, some traders shun multi-time frame analysis. That is why I will show how to properly execute a multi-time frame analysis with any trading technique.

What is MTA?

Before trading, multiple time frame analysis compares the performance of a currency pair across time. For this form of analysis, you should start with a wide picture and work your way down until you find a time window where you may enter a trade. A greater time period usually identifies a longer-term trend, whereas a lower time frame identifies optimal trade chances. Trading in the direction of a strong trend on a higher time period will likely result in more winning deals.

Time Combination Selection

Your trading style may dictate the time frame combination. A scalper, for example, prefers different time frames than a swing or position trader. So it's critical to know how to pick the optimum time frames to study. You won't be able to discern the difference if the time frames are too close together. Use the three time frame charts below to read the market.

For example, examining a trend on a 1-hour chart, the 30-minute chart adds nothing to the 1-hour chart. A 15-minute chart, however, will likely reveal obvious cycles.

Using the “1:4 ratio”, a greater time frame of 1 hour requires a lower time frame of 15 minutes (60 min/4). Similarly, if you utilise a 4 hour time period, the lower time frame should be 1.

Use the suggested time frame combinations below.

1-, 5-, and 30-minute
15-minute, 1-hour, and 4-hour
1-hour, 4-hour, and daily 4-hour, daily, and weekly

Dita Walczak

Verified member
It is not always possible to stick to a single strategy for a long time rather a trader needs to trade depending on trading circumstances. That is the reason traders need to analyze different time frames to take a cogent decision. However, those who only prefer only long term trading, things are different for them.

Asahi

Verified member
I mainly use daily time frame (to understand the market trend), but M15 helps me a lot to identify my exact entry point! That’s my personal strategy and I’m sure your trading strategy will be different!