How Would you decide on a rent amount for a duplex in your city?

Holicent

VIP Contributor
There are a lot of things to consider when deciding on a rent amount for a duplex in your city. First, you need to take into account the size of the apartment and the neighborhood where it is located. If you want an affordable place that is close to public transportation and stores, then you should look for a smaller apartment with little to no space between rooms and no garden or patio.

If you want an expensive place with a lot of space, then look for an apartment with more rooms and more square footage. It may cost more, but it will give you more space to do all your things.

Another important thing to consider is how much time do you spend at home? If someone else lives in your duplex and uses most of the room, then it makes sense not to pay much attention to the rent amount because it is not worth much anyway. On the other hand, if someone lives there alone and does not use much space or time in your apartment, then paying less rent might be worth it because they will be spending less money on their own things anyway.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
It's a personal decision. I have lived in my own duplex for over 10 years and I don't think there is a correct answer to this question. If you're thinking about buying a duplex, then you should do your research first and see what others are paying for their duplexes. If you're renting a duplex, then it's up to you to decide what rent amount is fair for your situation. You can use data from Craigslist ads or look at other properties in your area that are renting out their space. However, the first thing you need to do is decide how much space you want each person in your household to have.

Once you've decided on the amount of space per person, divide that number by two. That's the square footage for each unit. You'll also need to figure out how many people will be living in each unit. For example, if there are two bedrooms in each unit and two adults live in one unit and one adult lives in the other, then you'll need two bedrooms per unit (or 2 × 1 = 2).

Once you've figured these numbers out, multiply them together and add an extra 10% to cover taxes and insurance costs. This will give you a total rent amount for both units of your duplex apartment building.

Rubz

In other to decide on a rent amount for a duplex in one's city, one has to take certain factors into consideration. The first thing to look out for is the size of the duplex like you said. Some duplex are bigger than others and so the rent would obviously vary. If it's a big duplex, the rent will be higher and I it's a smaller duplex, the rent will be lower.
One also has to consider the location if the duplex. The rent of duplex in busy locations is higher than that of duplex in isolated places.
One also need to consider the security and accessibility of area the duplex is located. The rent of duplex in accessible and well secured area is higher than that of less accessible and less secured areas.