Is Addiction Actually A Disease Or Something Else?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many sorts of diseases in the world. Some of them are quite dangerous and some of them might not be so serious. However, there are some neurological problems associated with many humans and many scientists have a hard time classifying them. One such kind of problem is "Addiction". The term "Addiction:" refers to inability of a human being to control the impulses. A person could be addicted to many thing. There are many people who are addicted to behavioral patterns and indulge themselves things such as gambling, shopping, etc. On the other hand, there are many people who get addicted to various chemical substances such as heroine, cocaine, cigarettes, alcoholic, medicines, etc.

Many people believe that addiction is not a disease, but just some sort of disorder, but each and every disorder is actually a disease in itself. When you think that your behavior is completely out of control and you can no longer allow your brain's to have a control on yourself, then it could be regarded as a state where you might need a doctor. So, I think that addiction could be a disease and I think it should be viewed that way in order to seek the right kind of options to treat the person suffering from addiction.

Nice Topic.

There is a popular belief that addiction is a disease that develops due to the genetics of an individual. This isn’t true. It is the result of a combination of environmental and genetic factors working together. Genetics play a role but they don’t cause addiction. In fact, more than 50% of people with substance abuse problems have no one in their family who has experienced substance abuse.

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine and he was telling me about how his boss was fired from his job because he was addicted to drugs. He told me how the guy would come into work late every day, fall asleep on the job and not do anything productive. This made me wonder: is addiction really a disease or something else? I began thinking about the various addictions that we see in our society, and I realized that most of them can be explained by one thing: people go through hard times and they use these things as a way to cope with their problems. So do you still think addiction is a disease? For me the answer is NO.

My take on addiction is a disease of the mind. If you will look at the inside of an addict he is under the control of his addiction. I was a smoker before and I have to admit that I don't feel good when I needed a cigarette but I could not smoke like when I am in a no smoking area or maybe I have no cigarette and no money to buy cigarettes. My mood is ruined and it will get better only when I get a smoke. With drinking, I guess the effect is just the same that the drinker's mood is devastated when he couldn't have a drink.

But come to think of it, when you are addicted that means you are weaker than your craving. What if you fight the craving? That is the problem of addicts, they could not fight the addiction. But I was successful in that part because I was able to quit smoking just like that. I will post the details later.

Personally I would have said addiction is not a disease but research says otherwise. Addiction has been classified as a disease and some even see it as a chronic disease and not a matter of morals. There are treatments for addiction as well. Addiction can be seen as the excessive use of a particular thing that can be considered as harmful to the human body in the long run.

Well personally I do not see addiction as a disease but I just sees it as something that has to do with the psychological aspects of the human's body's because there are so many causes of addiction and some of them are always certain chemicals in some of the things most people take into their body and some of these things are harmful thereby causing a lot of dangerous side effects.

For example people that involved in smoking maybe addicted because of the presence of nicotine in the smoking particle they are taking into the body and nicotine is the Major contributor of addiction In most smoking.

Best on this I do not really see it as a disease but it is like a psychological effects on a person making it very much difficult to stop.

It could also be a disease because in most cases it can be treated but I don't know how this can be done .

The best thing we just have to do is to try as much as possible to avoid anything that could lead to addiction because when we are addicted to things it might be very difficult for us to stop and that can definitely ruins our life