Is It Possible For One Person To Manage A Business?

Bisolami

Verified member
I've always heard that two heads are better than one. I'm planning on starting a business very soon but I'm thinking of having someone with me with whom we can manage the business together. I was told to manage my business alone because no one can be trusted. Now, my question is that is it possible for only me to begin the business and it will end up successfully.

Suba

Staff member
I've never heard of 2 CEOs in one company, if you need a partner, the tasks will be different. If you become a CEO, your friend can be a marketing manager, etc. If you and your friends as partners have the same function and authority, there will often be arguments, and there will be many other risks. So you don't have to hesitate to run your own business, if your operating level gets bigger you are too busy you can recruit accounting, marketing, etc., they are all your employees, not partners who have the same position. You also have to share the profits from your business with partners. If you have a problem you can discuss with the employees to find the best solution.

arunima25

Verified member
There are many successful businesses which are run by solo owner. So, yes a business can be managed single handedly and can be successful. Having said that, we do have ample examples of successful businesses that are run in partnership. So, it can be both ways and each one will have its own sets of advantages and disadvantages. We often hear of business partners getting into differences and fights and then a successful business suffers. Sometimes they part away legally on a graceful way, while at other times the things can be really ugly. That can be a big setback for the business as well as emotional turmoil for business owners. Mostly people start their business partnership with a trusted partner but still, human beings are set to have differences and many a times they can be out blown.
Being a solo owner can be stressful as it's lot of work alone. Also, one might face idea blocks from time to time. That's why it's sad that two heads are better than one.
Now, whether you want to be solo owner or start in partnership would need a lot of thoughts. All pros and cons have to be weighed in before making a decision. I would prefer to be a solo owner but definitely hure different people to take care of different things. I don't want to be overwhelmed. The kind and size of business also matters.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well , you can definitely manage a business on your own without you needing another person to assist you as you are saying. I can understand s situation that you may not have the time to be attending to your business and in this case it is always very important for you to employ someone probably your trusted friend to help you in the business, but if you have the time and you understand what it takes to establish the business then you will definitely be able to manage your business alone . There is no need for two people except you just want him to be part of your business.

Two heads are better than one does not really mean that you have to be employing two managers into a business . well in a situation that you don't understand what to do in certain situations you can ask another person for help. I think that is the reason why most people will say two heads are better than one.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Yes, you can manage your business from anywhere, these days we have companies working remotely and due to this, you don't have to go to work in an office, you can manage your customers and employees wherever you are in the world, depending on the type of business you run and also the type of product.

If you have a software business, you can create a to do list for your employees and then map it out to them so that they have tasks attach to them daily and you measure their productivity based on the amount of work they get done.

Etini

Valued Contributor
If you are doing a sole proprietorship business, it is better you manage the business by yourself. It doesn't mean you won't consider the perspectives and opinions of people that are knowledgeable about business in general and your business in particular. That's where there is a need to have mentors in your business. Two sound mentors can provide the extra head that you might need to manage your business with. If it is a partnership business in structure, you can run it as such.