Passion or money: which determine career choice?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
When it comes to choosing a career a lot of people are usually confused between a career that would give them enough financial return or one in which they're really passionate about .

This is usually something that is not easy to handle , especially if you're living in a country where there are no guaranteed job opportunities and the business environment is hostile due to the kind of unfavorable government policies being made every now and then .

So many people then leave what they actually have passion for to focus on what they believe would enable them to get much more money .
The problem here is that , when you are not in a career choice that is related with your passion , it will be very difficult for you to be as productive as you would ordinarily be if you had gone for something that is related to what you really have passion for .

On a personal note , I believe that passion should be the major drive and motivation for which people choose which career they want to settle for a life .
When you consider only money as a factor , it can get you in a situation where you will not feel happy about the job that you are doing .

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
To be honest if you are in Nigeria you will prefer to go for money, in fact I have seen people who doing jobs they really do not like to do but they do not have a choice. People are always looking for money and not chasing their dreams in this country. The country has never given anyone the opportunities to really utilize there full potentials, everything is all a struggle starting from the educational sector to health and even commerce and industry we all struggle to get bye with life. So thisnhas made it very difficult for us to chase our passion rather we go after money. As the saying goes when the needed is not available then we will have to make the available the needed. I went to the bank sometimes last week to make a deposit and also to lodge a complain on an issue with my account. So as I was interacting with the customer care representative in the bank we got into a more personal conversation and lo and behold the guy told me that he graduated with a first class degree and a health related course and I was surprised to see him working in a bank, infact he was tired of working there but has no choice.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
When it comes to taking a job to make ends meet, I'll simply tell you, that name 'passion is dead by my side. I do any kind of job online and offline which I can execute just to earn money. If I don't do like that, I'll go whole day, whole month not making a dime for myself. I can't wait for my passionate job because, here in my country, you can't get a job you studied on a platter of Gold, unless it's a miraculous one. If you don't have anyone helping you out with the job of your choice, just forget about it. You wouldn't earn a dime as a human. So, if you're the type that loves money and you aren't lazy, you'll definitely learn other tricks to earn money for yourself in order to stay afloat and making something tangible at least to make ends meet. Because ends meet wouldn't run to us if we don't make them by earning money through different ways. I don't think I've earned a dime from my passionate skill or talent offline, I didn't like writing when I ventured into online, I forced myself to write just to survive the hit of covid 19.

Mika

VIP Contributor
You need to be passionate about your chosen career, if you are not passionate about your career choice, you may not be able to develop necessary skills and knowledge, and you may not be able work efficiently. If you do not acquire necessary skills and knowledge, and if you cannot work efficiently, you will never be able to build a successful career. However, you also need to consider about money, you need to see how much money you can generate from your chosen career because after all you need money in your life, if you do not earn enough you will end up living a miserable life.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
I've said this already, passion should be dead to you when you're broke, because nobody cares about your passion or what you like, people are about themselves and only care about themselves, and before you reply me think about it, how far can you go for other people and how far can you go for yourself, you'll get your answer there.

Passion is what you do when you're rich already and when you don't look up to anybody to pay you, you own yourself and your time and you can do whatever you like.

So it's all about the money, getting a job should be based on high income jobs and personally, I wouldn't even advise people to get a job, because you're sacrificing your time with money when you should be building a lifetime income you'll be caged in a job, time is very important, because it can be bought back, if you lose an hour you can't buy it back with all the money in this world.

Solve any kind of problem that people are experiencing, make your money, make sure it's online so that you'll be able to scale it up, that's the way, and this has nothing to do with the country you live in.

Rachael

Verified member
Well, to be candid, my career choice is not currently what I studied in school due to the way our educational system is structured especially in the public universities. In my country, people do not majorly work due to area of specialization. Most people who are in the banking sector do not even have a certificate or anything related to banking and the same with the teaching profession which has been polluted due to lack of job opportunities. My field is in education, which involves teaching and going by the way in which teachers are been treated and even recently, there is any ongoing strike which has stayed for up to 2months now and still counting, this has made the standard of education collapse almost in an irredeemable point.

Right now, my career choice would be determined by the money and not passion this is because, passion cannot pay all my bills and the rate in which teachers are being owed and mediocre is very appalling. Passion is important no doubt, but for me, when the money is involved, it is enough motivation to make me cultivate the passion itself. In my country, if you are after passion alone, you might end up in penury because here, we diversify into different streams of income.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
If I am really interested to go for anything , I really have to put so many things into consideration and not really about passion and not really about money but also an environmental factors and the health factors. Putting all these things together into consideration will determine what I will go into .

If I am to decide based on what you are asking, I will say that money is at least 65% then passion is just 35% because if you are passionate about a particular area of business or skill and is not able to generate you a single money , then that's just a pure waste of time because no one is likely to engage in things that won't really be profitable to them .

In the other hand , passion is also needed for us to pass through all the rough path we might encounter along the way.

Over here , there are some things you can learn then at the end of the day you are just like someone who haven't been into the university because of the high level of unemployment and also the possibility that what you are studying is not really necessary in the location .