Reasons Why Advertisements Fail

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
According to me the only reason why your ad fails is because you have not done market segmentation. market segmentation means you know your customers' behavior, interest, location, purchasing habits, etc. in terms of products you are trying to sell. If you do mot market to the right customer, your marketing will fail.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I believe that one of the main reasons why advertisements fail is because many creators of advertisements are not at all creative and they advertise the products through ways that are commonly done by many other people. I have also started a similar thread where I discussed this issue and I think you really need to be creative in order to make advertisements successful.

D

Deleted member 13140

I would like to add mine, i think another reason why ads fail, is lack of experience, and that's really a big thing, those people that burnt out their ad budget, was it their first time to run ads if it is then they shouldn't be too hard on themselves it has never been easy to run ads on any platform

Mika

VIP Contributor
That's called ad targeting. YOu have to target your ad to the people who will actually buy your product. In the case of the Samsung flip phone, the ad should be targeted towards people in the corporate world or businessmen. If you target to students, your ad will miserably fail.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
That's true. But your examples apply only for the high end products. For a lot of people it does not matter what life style Samsung Flip phone is promoting, what they care is whether they can afford the product or not or whether the product is useful for them or not.

Mika

VIP Contributor
These days companies promote lifestyle instead of the product. For instance, Red bull is not just an energy drink, it promotes athletic lifestyle. Likewise, iPhone is not just a mobile phone, it is also a posh life style, and a product needed for affluent people. If advertiser fail to promote lifestyle, the ad also fails.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Advertisement will work only when what ever claimed in the ad are actually true. For example, if an ad claims a toothpaste to make your teeth while, and if the product does not make your teeth while, the ad will fail and there will be no sales, however, if the product actually worked, ad will succeed.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
There are lots of reasons why advertisement fails. Some business owners like to do the advertisement by themselves when they have little or no knowledge. Most of the time they usually end up losing money in the process. An advertisement will fail if you cannot define your audience is very well.

linneasandel

There are several reasons why advertising fail, including:-
  • Exaggerated assertions
  • Inherent flaws in the product
  • Advertising that is out of the ordinary
  • Inconsistency in distribution
  • Appeals that aren't really impressive
  • Inadequate follow-up
etc...

Use cost-effective best-selling promotional products for distribution if you want to make your brand marketing a success. Giving these promotional products to the target audience will assist to raise brand recognition all over the place. The most important factor is that the recipients will be pleased with your branded gifts and will remember your brand name.

Mika

VIP Contributor
I hear a lot of people say, they tried running ads on various platforms yet they did not benefit much. Some people even complain that they burned out their advertising budget.

Why does this happen?

Here are some possible reasons:

Your ad did not reach the target audience, for example, your target customer is Generation Z that does not read newspapers but you ran newspaper ads)

Your target customer did not understand your ad, for example, your ad is targeted towards the blue-collar workers, but your ads used fancy language and graphics (blue-collar workers are not highly educated, so they cannot understand fancy language).

Your customer did not like your ad, for example, you are trying to sell the product to the Indian audience but your ad contains anti-Hindu symbols (India is a predominantly Hindu country).

These are just a few examples.

Mika

VIP Contributor
One of the common reasons for ad failure is due to the bad copy. If the copywriter is not well versed with your product, he might not come up with a catchy copy. Another reason is bad design. If you work with a bad graphic designer, he might not be able to create good graphics.

Arifj8887

I hear a lot of people say, they tried running ads on various platforms yet they did not benefit much. Some people even complain that they burned out their advertising budget.

Why does this happen?

Here are some possible reasons:

Your ad did not reach the target audience, for example, your target customer is Generation Z that does not read newspapers but you ran newspaper ads)

Your target customer did not understand your ad, for example, your ad is targeted towards the blue-collar workers, but your ads used fancy language and graphics (blue-collar workers are not highly educated, so they cannot understand fancy language).

Your customer did not like your ad, for example, you are trying to sell the product to the Indian audience but your ad contains anti-Hindu symbols (India is a predominantly Hindu country).

These are just a few examples.
Hii hello how are reply give me

Setho

VIP Contributor
There are a lot of people who I know that their advertisement campaign have failed because you did not do proper research to know the particular audience that they are going to target. It is very important that you should start get the right audience who is the right demographics for every advertisement that you will want to lunch.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Those are fine pointed examples while some persons Ads aren't making sales, just advertising Ads that's just contrary in nature. We should always market Ads that best represent those we are marketing to, and not running for the opposite. When i know the kind of persons on my social media can't patronize my product cos its not for them, I'll gently create a page adding those targeted clients and advertise to.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This reminds me of the ad of a fried chicken fast food. The guy was about to bite the chicken when a friend arrived and asked to share the chicken. You cannot guess what the guy with the chicken did... he spat on the chicken then offered it to his friend. That was a yucky tv commercial that was pulled out after some weeks. It is bad advertisement that did not help the business.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
Advertisement may fail due to so many reasons, if you are advertising a product which many people know to be bad or not good, it may not capture peoples attention, that's failure. And also If the products you are advertising is not well packaged or does not look like a quality one, or it doesn't seem to be a necessity, then advertisement may fail.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
You have spoken well. The only thing that can make advertisement fails is either the advertisement fails to adress the targeted audience or it is done in a wrong way. Imagine advertising a soap to cure enzyma and the person advertising it has enzyma on his face. This is a turn off for many audience including me.

funmi

Verified member
There is certainly some many reasons that could make an advertisements not to be as effective as expected. I see companies that carries out an advertisement on the television and radio all in a bid to create an awareness of their product or service to the general public. But when you listen sometimes to the jungo you will realise that it really does not pass any message across . some companies even go as far as getting a celebrity to help them project their product or service and in the end they still do not get the desired output. This is because most times they are not passing QN effective message across and people as not getting the message they are trying to pass across.

Then again they have not done their market segmentation properly hence they just distribute the same information meant for party A to part B and C. Things are not done that way. But many thanks to marketing and marketer's who are trying to do the job of segmentation and helping the message to get the the set or target audience.

When the message is not well.defined the audience listening to the message will get a wrong message and give a wrong feedback.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
There are many different reasons why advertisements usually fail,. One of the main reasons why advertisements fail is the common advertisements technique used by the advertisers again and again. When you repeatedly use the same kind of technique again and again, you tend to "bore" the audience and the viewers will eventually lose interest in what you are advertising and I think this is why I stated that innovation is one of the most important things when it comes to advertisement. When you get more ideas to attract people to your product, the audience itself find your advertisements interesting and as a result your product will get more attention from general public.

You must target all kinds of people to your product because sometimes the rule of audience targeting does not apply to all the people and many other people might also be interested in your product. For example, if you are advertising female purse, then it is possible that some male might also get attracted to your product and they might buy it for their wife or any other female family member. So innovation and the ability to attract MULTIPLE kinds of people to your product is the key to make more sales through advertisements.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There are so many reasons why some people fail whenever they want to carry out an advertising campaign. before you carry out an advertisement there are some certain things you must know I'm put in place if not it may not really be successful. First of all it is very important you know the kind of audience you have and what they are very much interested on and from there you can know the kind of product you will advertise to them. If the kind of people that are following you on social media platforms are very much interested a money-making ventures and your start advertising other things, there is a high probability that they will definitely not patronize you. This is why it is very much important that people always pick a very good niche and build friends or following around them on different social media platforms.
Before you carry out an advertising campaign, it's very much important to conduct a survey and this is usually for big businesses. It is one of the main reasons why a lot of businesses in developed countries always carry out online surveys to know the opinion of their potential customers and how to advertise their products effectively..