Skills Or Education: Which Is Required To Become A Good Manager?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Management and administration is one of the most important sector in any kind of business. This is why management is actually considered a field by many people and being a manager is not an easy job. Being a manager requires you to be smart because you tend to deal with all sorts of employees who have different personality, skill levels, moods, and behavior pattern. This is why a manager is required to deal with each and every individual in a different manner. A manager is a person in the company whose basic job is to manage business. This is why qualifications and education could be something a manager must necessarily possess.

Of course skills are also one of the most important thing that a manager must have. But when it comes to choosing skill or education, what do you think is more important? I have seen many unqualified people working as managers because they possess good managerial skills. However, I still believe that education also plays a main role for a manager. So if you ask me, I would say that both education and skills are required to become a good manager. What are your opinions about this topic? Thanks!

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Mounting the role of leadership really entiles a lot of quality, the role of a leader goes beyond having the financial stature to mount the sit of leadership, one of the major challenge facing the under developed and developing countries is the problem of leadership we have come to realize that leadership goes beyond age, financial status and even ones level of education or training aswel. To really handle the role of leadership effectively one must be well rounded in term of both education and skills. Infact it rest more on skills than the classroom knowledge gotten from the four walls of the higher institutions of learning.

Leadership has a lot to with skills than education in itself. A good leader must be someone that listens and that is also a good follower. Because one can not really lead if you are not a follower. Leadership is best shown by examples. Education most times only get one literate I.e it bothers on how to read and write, but the quality of leadership comes purely from skills. We have seen people who became very good leaders and manage resources so well and effectively but yet they were not formally educated in a school.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
Management is my major in my business course. My take on a good manager is both education and training. You can be the best in college but that doesn't mean that you can be a good manager already. You have to take note that management not only involves the job or operation because management also goes with the people under you. And that's not all. There's also the need to be in good relation with other departments or other companies that have an involvement in your job. I know of some good managers who did not have the education but they turned out to be good managers by their training and work experience. My management experience is quite long and I can say that you have to always adjust to the situation in order to be an effective manager.

E

eldavis

I think to become a good manager, both are needed, you need to be educated in various aspects like human resource management and other skills needed for managing a business, at the same time you need skill set required to carry out the knowledge you have.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
You simply need the two in order to make a good manager. Those who are into managerial role, take their time out to acquire certain levels in education back up with their skill in order not to be dethroned by another. The world is simply on the development stage. Education is important you can't rule it off, at same time skill is important. Meaning, you can't do away one if you have the ambition to become a manager of any venture or enterprise in the future. I believe in the future that's why I acquired some degrees in education and still open to learning more of the skills.

PICKFORD

Verified member
Both of them actually is required but education is not the main criteria to be a better manager the skill aspect you will be able to perform various activities even when your employees are not around you can take up the initiative to perform duties on your own but as for the educated and spit it will build your creative thinking and you will be able to handle both crisis compliant from outsiders virtually every aspect of negative results or failure in the business existence, as a manager you have to be smart sound and understand what the employees are doing only way you can know this is if you have creative skills you will be able to follow up with employees you will not be cheated or taken for granted in the means of production activities and also in the aspect of education having good education aspect on managerial activities and is a manager with educational degree you will be end respect from your employees and also does you are working with

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Managerial post is not a post that one needs to be satisfied with just either skill or education. The two are very important. A manager needs education to communicate well and have good analytical skill . Ejiek he needs skill to do some other things that education may not be needed. For instance, there is need for problem solving skill. Aside that, there is always some respect that are always accorded to managers with education.