Skills vs. Degree: Which is more important in business?

King bell

VIP Contributor
As a student, you're probably trying to decide whether you should take a skills-based or degree-based specialization when deciding where to apply for post-secondary education. You might be a bit unsure about which specialized programs will allow you to maximize your earning potential and provide the best opportunities for employment after graduation.

Having a skill-based specialization, such as those offered at the BCIT School of Construction and other BCIT programs allows you to acquire hands-on experience and real world applications while earning your degree. This combination, in today's competitive employment market, is key to ensuring that you are armed with the necessary certification and training required for skilled jobs, specifically related to your area of study.

On the other hand, a degree may be more attractive because it often offers a broader base of knowledge and skills that can be applied in a variety of industries or specialized fields. This is especially true when you take into account that degree-based fields may offer more opportunities for employment in the event you decide to pursue a career after graduation.

There are benefits and drawbacks associated with both types of programs, which is why it's important to ensure that you understand what they're all about. In addition, keep in mind some of the other criteria related to post-secondary education and careers, such as being aware of the differences between a certificate, diploma and degree programs, whether or not your degree is accredited by an organization requiring public accountability for your program and whether or not completion will be required for university admission.

Rubz

I believe both skills and degree are very important in a business. No one is more important than the other. An upcoming business man or woman should be patient and apply for both a skill based program and a business program if he or she wants to achieve maximum outcome in his or her business because both skill and degree complement each other.

marianliu07

As a student, you're probably trying to decide whether you should take a skills-based or degree-based specialization when deciding where to apply for post-secondary education. You might be a bit unsure about which specialized programs will allow you to maximize your earning potential and provide the best opportunities for employment after graduation.

Having a skill-based specialization, such as those offered at the BCIT School of Construction and other BCIT programs allows you to acquire hands-on experience and real world applications while earning your degree. This combination, in today's competitive employment market, is key to ensuring that you are armed with the necessary certification and training required for skilled jobs, specifically related to your area of study.

On the other hand, a degree may be more attractive because it often offers a broader base of knowledge and skills that can be applied in a variety of industries or specialized fields. This is especially true when you take into account that degree-based fields may offer more opportunities for employment in the event you decide to pursue a career after graduation.

There are benefits and drawbacks associated with both types of programs, which is why it's important to ensure that you understand what they're all about. In addition, keep in mind some of the other criteria related to post-secondary education and careers, such as being aware of the differences between a certificate, diploma and degree programs, whether or not your degree is accredited by an organization requiring public accountability for your program and whether or not completion will be required for university admission.
While I do think a degree does show that someone is trained or knowledgeable about something, I think skills could make up for a lot of what simple education lacks. I actually read earlier today (nice coincidence!) on Quora about someone who hired a lawyer that was perfect on paper, with an impressive education and all that. Turns out the lawyer was just decent. That's why I think skill should also be a very important factor in deciding who to hire and whatnot.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Sometimes I don't know which is more important I think the two works hand in hand now because even the job that requires a degree and other top certification now also emphasize on skills acquisition. This is why even graduates now still get to learn skills now even with all the degree acquired. Personally, I believe that nothing is a waste it will help one to empower self the more

So if you can attend a formal school where you can obtain your degree or degrees on a course then you go ahead to study and get it. The thing is that some employers want people with degress. You must have the right papers if you do then you can go ahead to work with them. others prefer people with the right skills. So you see having the two is important so that you can use any when they need arises.