Spending the pension on sundry and miscellaneous expenses

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The title is the usual disposal of the pension when the pensioner has children who are well-off. Just to be of use, the pensioner buys the laundry soap and snacks for the grandchildren. That is an ideal scene for a pensioner.

But in real life most of the pensioners I know spend for the food because the children that live with him earns not enough. The concept of the pension is for the pensioner to have extra money for his leisure and entertainment. But if the pension becomes part of the daily home budget then it is like the pensioner is partly a bread winner. I can imagine the pressure when the daily budget is not sufficient that the pensioner would be taking a loan. What a disastrous situation.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
That is why it's always good to establish a personal business while working in a company or with the government. It will provide a soft landing in a worse scenario like you have cited in your post. It's a sad thing to foot bills that are very challenging when you are suppose to sit, relax and enjoy your pension.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well, that's reality of some homes especially here in my country that things are pretty hard. Pensioners that didn't plan their life well. Will even be using this monies to pay fees for their children because they didn't put the necessary things in place so the suffer for it in the long run

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is every parent's hope that they raise children who would be able to support them when they grow old so they do not have to Carter for the family expenses on food and other things. The children would have been financially stable and they would be the ones taking care of these things, more like a way of appreciating their parents for all efforts put in to raise them to be who they are.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Spending for miscellaneous expenses only comes when the pensioner HSS other streams of income to brings him money in a passive way adding to his pension before he or she can think of spending for miscellaneous things that is not mainly the household primary needs. When the pension is small and no avenue for income generation surely the pensioner will curtail his or her spending.