Three Soft Skills to Become a Remote Worker

Mika

VIP Contributor
If you want to become a remote worker and become successful in your chosen career, you need a lot of things, and first and foremost is a professional-level high-paying skill. You also need other soft skills.

Time Management: When you are working remotely and do not have to go to the workplace, the line that divides your professional life and personal life blur. You need time management skills to balance your work and life. You need skills to juggle two different lives so that you don’t ignore anything.

Discipline: Remote working comes with a lot of distractions. For example, when you are working in an office, you will wake up at 8 no matter how sleepy you are as you need to reach your office by 9. However, when you are working remotely, you might be tempted to sleep until 9. Plan your schedule and stick to your schedule.

Do you have what it takes to become a remote worker and spend your life as a digital nomad?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Thanks. I will also suggest that you write an article on discipline @Mika because that is one of the things I am always struggling most of the time , like I can easily be distracted by so many things when I am interested to work online or concentrate in other things that will help me .

I really have to be discipline in so many areas and also I must try as much as possible to avoid distraction because most times this will just make me not to achieve what I want on daily basis. Most of the distraction are always from friends..

In terms of time management , I don't really have problem because I can personally organise my time to suit so many things I am interested to do and sometimes I do not keep to time but time is not really my problem. What I have to improve on myself is just discipline to know when to play and when to be serious.

King bell

VIP Contributor
The three skills i am going to list are soft skills and in my opinion, the most important when it comes to working from home: a good attitude, the ability to stay motivated and disciplined, and self-discipline.

A good attitude is important because you will have no one around you or anyone watching over your shoulder. You are on your own time to do what you need, which can be both beneficial and harmful (e.g., Netflix). The ability to stay motivated is also key as there is less of an external push for you than in an office setting. The discipline to stay motivated and in a positive state of mind is important to avoid "burnout", which will happen if you let yourself do whatever you want. Staying disciplined also helps keep that positive momentum going in the right direction. These all relate to mindset, which is my next point:

Mindset becomes very important when you work from home. Because there is less of an external push, your own mindset is extremely important when it comes to staying focused on the task at hand and keeping your mood up without getting overly distracted by other things (like other projects or just browsing the web).