What you like to do can give you some money and engagement.

arunima25

Verified member
It is not easy to accept retirement. While the working years can keep us busy and away from doing things that we like to do or pursue a hobby because we don't get much time in our working years as we need to do a lot and balance a lot in busy life. Now retirement gives you that leisure of time to pursue your hobbies. Here in our apartment complex, we have few senior citizens who have made their hobbies into business. One lady here sells her home made snacks and is always flooded with orders. Other old man is busy taking Nature classes for young children and he does camps for them in summer holidays. One another lady has skills of making pickles of mangoes and many more. She gets enough orders. So these people are actively engaged doing what they like to do. And the money that they make is definitely something that motivates them.
Do you have any such plans to use your hobbies for business in retirement days??

btaliat

VIP Contributor
I do advice people that while pursuing one's career, we still need to develop some skills. These skills will help us to sustain ourselves during the retirement ages. Besides, there are some investment that retiree can invest on. But the problem that people always make is that they always have the habit of crossing the bridges when we get there instead of preparing for it gradually.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I am someone who really likes reading and it gives me a sense of accomplishment when ever I use what I have learned through reading to make money. I believe it is a profitable hobby that I am happy to possess any day any time.
Through reading that I got to know about paid to post websites and they have been helpful. I am also reading to learn so many things at the moment which would be helpful to me in the long run.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
When you pursue what you have passion for, the sky is your limit. Going to work frowning and unhappy will reduce your productivity, simply because you don't like what you do. maybe , you are forced into it or circumstances beyond your control pushed you into it.

Irrespective of the situation, always pursue your dream and you will be happy you did on the long run.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
If the hobby is a money driving one, i don't mind converting it into money making type by investing money into it. It depends on the kind of hubby, if its the kind of farming for personal consumption. I'll simply expand it to bigger one in order to do for commercial purposes to drive full-time income from it too.

arunima25

Verified member
I do advice people that while pursuing one's career, we still need to develop some skills. These skills will help us to sustain ourselves during the retirement ages. Besides, there are some investment that retiree can invest on. But the problem that people always make is that they always have the habit of crossing the bridges when we get there instead of preparing for it gradually.
That is wise advice that you give to people there. We all should have some skill to keep us engaged in our post-retirement even if it is not for money-making. Many people do not have enough skills to keep them busy after retirement. They tend to get bored, start feeling lonely and develop other issues like depression. In most cases, people do not find it to be a necessity to learn something that might help them being productively engaged in their ripe age. They always give an excuse of not finding enough time in their youth as they are pretty busy. It would be good if they invest little time before retirement to plan their post-retirement life.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I retired my plan was to have a small nursery for seedlings and planting materials. I love gardening so I can earn from my hobby. But paid posting on forums have given me a sort of occupation that I also enjoy because I am earning and at the same time learning. But my seedlings are still here although I am just giving them away for free.

arunima25

Verified member
I am someone who really likes reading and it gives me a sense of accomplishment when ever I use what I have learned through reading to make money. I believe it is a profitable hobby that I am happy to possess any day any time.
Through reading that I got to know about paid to post websites and they have been helpful. I am also reading to learn so many things at the moment which would be helpful to me in the long run.
Reading is a wonderful habit and it helps you in many ways. And what can be better when you can earn while you read. That would be a win-win situation. Though I have no personal experience, I have heard of apps that make you earn as you read. I read one post here in that context. And writing book revies can be another good way to earn for a person who loves to read. And it seems that you can get these books free of cost to read and write a review.

arunima25

Verified member
When I retired my plan was to have a small nursery for seedlings and planting materials. I love gardening so I can earn from my hobby. But paid posting on forums have given me a sort of occupation that I also enjoy because I am earning and at the same time learning. But my seedlings are still here although I am just giving them away for free.
That sounds good! You have got enough to keep yourself busy and productive and even earn in the retirement phase. I am sure you do not have a single moment of boredom there. You can still divide your time between your gardening hobby and online earnings and make money from both. The good part is that you enjoy both.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Reading is a wonderful habit and it helps you in many ways. And what can be better when you can earn while you read. That would be a win-win situation. Though I have no personal experience, I have heard of apps that make you earn as you read. I read one post here in that context. And writing book revies can be another good way to earn for a person who loves to read. And it seems that you can get these books free of cost to read and write a review.
That is going to be a nice opportunity for one to explore and the best is the fact that some one like me is not going to find it difficult as it is something I already have passion for and we all know that when passion is involved, nothing can make one to lose out in the long run.
I would try and read about earninng opportunities like this one you have talked about.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
It is not easy to accept retirement. While the working years can keep us busy and away from doing things that we like to do or pursue a hobby because we don't get much time in our working years as we need to do a lot and balance a lot in busy life. Now retirement gives you that leisure of time to pursue your hobbies. Here in our apartment complex, we have few senior citizens who have made their hobbies into business. One lady here sells her home made snacks and is always flooded with orders. Other old man is busy taking Nature classes for young children and he does camps for them in summer holidays. One another lady has skills of making pickles of mangoes and many more. She gets enough orders. So these people are actively engaged doing what they like to do. And the money that they make is definitely something that motivates them.
Do you have any such plans to use your hobbies for business in retirement days??
This is how it should be than just staying idle after retirement. I think it can be very boring and might even bring I'll health too .so I will be a good time to pursue those hobbies that can make one money and use them to still be active. I hope I can still keep writing even in my old age

arunima25

Verified member
This is how it should be than just staying idle after retirement. I think it can be very boring and might even bring I'll health too .so I will be a good time to pursue those hobbies that can make one money and use them to still be active. I hope I can still keep writing even in my old age
You are right. One needs to stay active and engaged to stay healthy. An idle mind can be devil's workshop. And soon depression and other mental issues might creep in.Our mind controls our body. And slowly health deteriorates. So it's good to keep going with your hobbies and interests.

Mika

VIP Contributor
After retirement, a lot of people start living inactive life, which later becomes one of the major causes of heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson, etc. In order to become mentally and physically sane, you need to live an active life even after retirement. There are a lot of things that you can do.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
I like social work, I'll do social service, this is not a money making program, instead it will need money to spend. However there are lot who need help instead of fake support; it is very difficult, but I am still in social work and I'll understand different circumstances.
Another thing is make money online, this I like to make jobless needy and disabled to learn, this helps them and I keep learning too for new ideas and development.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I will like to engage myself in different kinds of businesses. I'm not a man of one stuff. I'm a man of many things lol. I'm an explorer, I love to explore so many things. I find joy doing so many things. I will set up a business in so many things.....Ranging from Transportation to home building business. Buying and selling of houses etc...

I know that's capital intensive business but anything is achievable if we set our minds towards it.

arunima25

Verified member
After retirement, a lot of people start living inactive life, which later becomes one of the major causes of heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson, etc. In order to become mentally and physically sane, you need to live an active life even after retirement. There are a lot of things that you can do.
You have put it so beautifully. What's not used gets useless and rusted. So, if any part of our body including the mind is not used, it will start showing degeneration. We have seen that if people stay idle after retirement, they see faster degeneration in their physical anf mental capacity. And that's what all comes in the form of all the sickness that you mentioned. And staying idle and unengaged does lead to mental depression.
People often end up taking good care of financial planning after retirement. But they don't give much attention to their engagement plan. It's equally important or rather more important. One should be active and productive even after the retirement age. That helps them stay happy and fit.

Good luck

Verified member
Retirement is not the end of life,it is just a break from what you do on a daily basis that you stopped doing due to age factor and government policy.Most workers are now planning their retirement even for five or more before they fully retired so as to be engaged in one business or the day.some even go into water production.having a water company where water is produced in sachet and bottle.supplying all the mini shop around and afar.while some retirees go fully into farming using modern mechanical instruments to practice it.It will not be advisable to just be idle after retirement because the body needs to be exercised so as to function very well.

funmi

Verified member
Well. It is good to always practice ones hubby or to do what we like to do once in a while even before retirement. It will give you time to practice and build on it gradually before you finally have time to work on it full time.
If you leave what you love doing or your hubby till your retirement age, you maybe too old or outdated to fulfil that your hubby. It will look as if your life is having a reset or something.
I will advice many adults and youths to try their best to discover themselves now and find out what they love doing before their age kick them out of service. By that time, it may be too late to start from the scratch.
Moreso, I believe doing what you love right now, will relieve your stress or struggles in life. And at the end of the day, you will be happy that you have lived a fulfilled life.

Skysaint

Verified member
What do I want to do when I finally retired? Well, I will still go into my area of professionalism. What I mean by this is that I am actually studying to become a health practitioner and I will have to work in the hospital until I get retired. So after my retirement I would like to open a mini hospital or a chemist shop of a sort and continue with my line of business or occupation. That's actually what I intend on doing although I still have a viable alternative to this or rather say another business I will also want to go into during this stage of my life and that's breeding business, breeding exotic breeds of dogs and making my money from it.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Doing what you love when you are old and retired is really sweet. You still get to enjoy life even if you are not working. Such people are the ones who you will find being so healthy and active despite their age. Which is a very good thing in order to live a happy life.

When you decide to plan for retirement, it is best to identify those skills that you enjoy engaging in. Then do those things often so that you can perfect it. Once you are retired, it becomes your full time job.

There is nothing as good as being retired but still having a source of income. You will be able to be financially independent and prepare for your death. When that time comes, your family will have enough money for your burial and your children and grandchildren will be financially okay.