Shares/Stock When should one sell a stock

D

Deleted member 13140

While selecting stocks takes a lot of time and effort, it can be difficult to decide when to sell — especially for first-time investors. The good news is that if you correctly selected your stocks, you won't need to withdraw for a long time, such as when you're ready to retire. However, there are times when you will need to sell your assets before achieving your financial objectives.
Probably not financial objectives, as for me, my last investment went from $20 to $9 and am still here telling myself hey it's going to increase, I think I'll sell it off after this post.

Before you sell your stocks You must conduct additional research and monitor the stability of the companies in which you invest. Changes in corporations have a significant impact on the stock's value. A new CEO, for example, can have an impact on stock valuation. A stock might be affected by a drop in the industry. Stock value is influenced by a variety of factors, many of which are intertwined.

As for me I won't sell the stock I have because the CEO seems steady enough, he's a startup, it might be successful.

There are other factors to consider, Which I didn't mention so if you know any, comment I might actually be convinced to sell mine, Even if it's just $9.

D

Deleted member 28127

The buy or sell doesn't have any relation to the price like for example it comes that the investment wants from 20 $ to 9 $ then suddenly increase to 30 $ or the opposite goes from 9 $ to 20 $ then decrease suddenly to 4 $ so the surprises on the market are numerous and we cannot determinate them. Some buyers even the price decrease 3 $ goes to sell their parts but they regret after that because the price reincreases 7 $ then they have lost 4 $ profit by reading some news about the price is going to drop more down.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Hmmm, it comes to this market one has to really have a good understanding before even venturing into it hence rather than make profit one might end on the wrong side of the divide. So when it comes to determining when to sell a stock, it is better to sell when the ovation is at it loudest. It is always better to sell when it high or has increased. people always make the mistake of wait in and waiting to see if it will still yield more, rather than having a set target at heart and make the decision of taking the profit when it is high and hits their target.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Selling a stock or share depends on the fundamentals and the buyers initial plan with the stock, if maybe you just buy for short term hold, you can sell if it goes up a little bit, but if you are a position stock trader then you can hold on to it until you feel satisfied with the profits.

I can still remember last year when the Gamestop shares skyrocket a lot of people made money and they cashed out real quick and surprisingly it later crashes badly that many people ended losing money, stocks are all about timing and execution.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Their is no big deal when it comes to knowing the right time to seek your stocks out. Very much easier, you can sell anytime you see profit in your portfolios. But it's simply up for you to sell when you record some profit or better keep the asset when the price spike higher amount, you can simply now sell off and record high profit margin. Or you can simply leave it there at the wallet for long term profit.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
The rule of the thumb is sell your stocks when the price has skyrocketed. Let say you bough stocks at the price of $1 per stock and it the price reached $10 per stocks, you can sell your stocks. However, if you are financially capable to hold your investment, and if you want to profit more from the stocks try holding your stocks until it becomes $100. However, you might have to wait for years for $1 stock to reach the value of $100 per stock. Stock market depends on how the company is performing in the market (mainly sales)

E

eldavis

Though I am not into stocks so I don't really know much about it but like every other investments, I believe the goal is to buy buy them at a cheaper price then sell them off when the price value goes up.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I believe that stock trading is somewhat similar to cryptocurrency trading. We buy cryptocurrencies when the prices fall and sell when the prices go up. Stock trading is quite tricky because just like cryptocurrencies, you may never know when the stock rises and when it falls. I remember there was a massive stock crash in the year 2008 in my city that led many people to lose massive amounts of money. People even lost their life savings as a result of the crash and I think many countries were also affected by the crisis in other parts of the world in the year 2008 and the global stock market also crashed as a result.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Between 2017-2018, I bought shares in various companies. I invested about $3000 in total. The value of my shares has now increased to $5000. I have made a whopping $2000 in profit by holding my shares for 3-4 years. However, I am not yet selling my shares. In fact I am thinking to invest more money in the stock market, possibly when there is a new IPO. Generally speaking, I buy only during the IPO, I do not buy from the secondary market. The IPO shares are cheap and the secondary market shares are expensive. I will sell only when I need money to buy properties.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
As a benefit from the employer of my late wife, I was granted shares of stocks worth $20,000. An office mate of my wife urged me to sell some of the shares because the market price had increased considerably like 8%. It was an opportunity, she said. However, I do not need the money and my intention is to have a savings or an investment. Those shares of stocks looked to be a good investment because my wife's employer is the biggest bank in our country. In other words, those share are blue chip stocks which is safe in terms of stability in market value. Now to answer the question in the topic, the time to sell the stocks is when you need the money otherwise you will just sell because the market price is high but the money will just be deposited in the bank which will not earn anything (except for the very minimal interest).

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well I don't really have much idea about stock investment but I believe they are as volatile as cryptocurrency and if this is true then there a lot of things you have to put into consideration, I believe there is no need for you to sell out your stock investment that depreciated from $20 to $9 when you don't have anything tangible to do with the $9 because this same principle is applicable to cryptocurrency , because expert will suggest that you do not sell out your cryptocurrency in loss but you should rather hold it until it regained it original value and even more. Then another important thing you really need to take serious is that if you don't have much experience on stock investment I suggest that you need to get yourself attached to people that have better understanding of this because those are the one that will be able to help you on how to do it perfectly just like in cryptocurrency, when I came first into trading I didn't understand anything but it was some expert with better understanding that was guiding me through on how to identify good coin with potential and so many other things ,this you should also do.

Victorial

I really do not have much knowledge about stock trading but I think it can be compared to forex or crypto trading to some extent. When it comes to selling your stock, it is best to sell when you have made enough money or at least make your capital back. You do not want to sell when you have not made any profit or when you are running losses. You will wait for it to appreciate a bit before selling. This same strategy works for crypto coins as you do not lose all your money until you sell the dip.