Why Selling Your Website Earns You More Money in a Shorter Time Than Keeping It for a Longer Time.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Most people don't know how much more money they can make from selling their website than from holding on to it.
You're probably wondering, "How is that even possible?" Well, it's actually surprisingly simple. It's called the multiplier effect.

Think of owning a website like owning a lemonade stand. A lemonade stand has limited earning potential because your area probably only has so many thirsty people walking by at any given time. But if you sell someone the rights to your lemonade stand, that person can then sell lemonade out of it and pay you your asking price plus some extra to keep using the stand. Now, instead of one person making money off of the stand, you have two! This is called the multiplier effect: when one person makes an investment that allows a second person to make a profit as well. You even have the opportunity to get another or invest on another thing.

The same thing happens with websites. When you sell your website instead of holding onto it and trying to manage it yourself, you get more money than you would have gotten if you had just kept it for yourself for however long you could. What's more, whoever buys your website gets to manage it as they see fit and make money off of it in the process! Most importantly, though—you get MORE money!

Oftentimes, you can't see the value of the website for yourself—but other people certainly can. Your website worth something when someone else buys it.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
The thread creator has not done justice to the thread. It looks very clumsy. However, I will debunk the idea of making more money selling your website than holding on to it. The major reasons for saying this is that most of the website is a good source of passive income. Selling it off isn't a good idea. It is correct that you will make more money when you sell it now than the amount that you will make keeping it, if we look at the profits on the short term basis. But if we look at it on longer term basis, you will agree with me that you stand a chance to make more more money holding it for a long time than selling it.

The most painful part of this type of exercise is that you are selling off your means of making passive income for yourself. When you fail in that regard, it could be very detrimental. Creating ways to make passive income out of your business is what is been advocated for right now. You will attain financial freedom if you try as much as possible to look for ways to make money on autopilot. Even while sleeping, you are making money. One of the ways to ensure this is by blogging. It is an essential way to create a passive income and it is definitely the best way to make money while sleeping.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Nice contribution @Lens1000. I'm not going to debate,but I'm going to be concise in my post. Do you remember Brian Acton? The real owner of the world's largest messaging service, he sold it to Mark for a larger benefit. Do you also remember Paypal was owned by Peter Thiel and Max, but are they still the owner today? Obviously, they had their reasons, a greater benefit, I guess. If you are informed enough, countless websites or platforms were all sold, and this will continue to happen. LinkedIn was acquired by Microsoft and Yahoo by Verizon, are you following?

I would really say they had their reasons even if not monetary reasons. Some created a beautiful platform but lack the willpower or idea to drive it to a greater height. Don't get me wrong, that thing you have , there is someone who knows how to use it better than you. It will be very foolish when you know you have nothing to offer anymore but still hold on to something till it loses its value. Mind you some are just programmers, probably front and back end developers they are good at coding a good website, they have the passion to manage website but they dont have the time or consistency needed to take the website to a greater height. They can always create such websites and sell rather than holding on to it even when they know they are not contributing much. I hope you own or manage a website or something related someday.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
You're very correct @Jasz, flipping of websites will stay on for many years, lots of people have benefited on it and still, others are still benefiting from website flipping. It depends on the kind of website you're flipping, it must meet the target before you make that huge amount of profit from it. Their are webmasters who doesn't create website of their choice, they search on Google and any other search engine platform to determine the kind of websites some companies or businesses makes use of, and also search for a domain keyword with good number of search results, build the website around the domain, after gaining or acquiring useful information about the kind of website that is suitable to go together with the domain name he or she chooses. So, when the website is fixed in order, he then moves out to do outbound marketing, which is one of the best strategy to market to end buyers and get fast sales, simply searching with the keyword of your website domain name, and seeing similar websites offering same services or purpose you created the website for. So from there, you can push through their email page, or contact address, or look up to their Facebook page and share them your website landing page, and telling them what it can offer to their business if they decide to move with it.

Last edited:

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I can understand that selling your website can generate you a lots of money quickly, but I would never sell my blog or website if my website or blog starts generating a good amount of money for me due to many reasons.

You Work Hard To Set Up A Website

Honestly speaking, it takes much effort and time to create a great website and it is much harder to actually drive traffic to your website. You work hard for many years and in the end you sell your website. Even if you sell your website for thousands of dollars, you would still not feel satisfaction when you sell website because you have put all the effort to make it successful.

If You Sell Your Website, You Basically Sell Your Source Of Passive Income

A website that generates hundreds of dollars each month is a kind of a source of passive income for you. It is just like selling a business, which is well-established. If you sell your website, you must know that you are basically selling your source of income, which could help you during bad times.

These were some of the main reasons why I do not think that I will be selling my blog or my website.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Trust me you cannot generate a lot of money by selling your website, you might not even find buyers for your website even if you want to sell the website for quick money. In order to sell your website for a high price, your website needs organic traffic, your traffic should be huge, at least something like 20-30 thousand per month. If your website does not have at least 65 percent organic traffic, you are not getting any attention from potential buyers. Even though having organic traffic is not enough, your website should also generate revenue. not 10-20 dollars but hundreds of dollars. If you have ever tried to sell your website you will understand maximum money you can get for your website is a multiplier of 5. For example, if your website generates $100 per month, the maximum you can get s $500. While it is not easy to earn $100 per month from your website, $500 for your website is not very poor money. I have been running a website for over 2 years, yet I am having difficulty reaching $100 every month. When you are trying to sell your website, you also need to pay listing fees and commissions.