Why So Many Individuals Are Suffering From Depression?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Depression is a state of mind where many people are not able to handle some sort of grief and they take things so seriously that such kind of state often begins to harm their mental state. Depression could be caused by many things. Some of the main things that cause depression are financial problems, extreme problems in personal life, major issues in families and relationship, etc, Some other things such as being bullied constantly and being rejected by the person you love could also make you extremely depressed. Some other reasons why many people get depressed is due to health issues.

When a person has some major accident or suffers from diseases that affects life, then this could also lead to depression. According to big health organizations such as World health Organization, around 5 percent of the humans on Earth suffer from Depression and these are some really alarming statistics. I recently visited a medical store and I was speaking to the shopkeeper. he suggested that he finds many customer who are seeking medicines that could treat depression. So, have you also suffered from depression in life? What are some ways to deal with depression and how did you cope with it?

Bard Racheal

In some cases, depression occurs when someone put his or her thoughts to things that could trap one down to it.

What we should know is; much thinking can debar someone from thinking positive things.

Self pity is also one of the factor that causes depression.
If we put our selves so low,to thinking about what people feel about our present situation, and improvise on that platform to arouse this ailment called depression,we are doing no good to ourselves.

Low self esteem also can bring about this.
We want to belong.
If you want to belong, like others are,and it's not being actualized at that point in time you expect, that's when it drives you into this depression of a thing.

If we wonder why most people cling to smoking and alcoholism,most of them have been plunged to being depressed, maybe by the happenings or pressure from family or people he or she is close with.

Some people feels the smoking and alcoholism is the escape route for them. But it is never the way of escape,but it plunges them more into it.

In the society of today, depression has taken it's root.

When you try to find out what's the main cause of this, you'll come to find out that it's caused by poverty.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Depression is a serious problem. According to the World Health Organization, more than 300 million people in the world are currently living with depression. And this number is only expected to increase over time, with WHO estimating that depression will be the leading cause of disability by the year 2030.The question remains: Why are so many individuals suffering from depression?

Depression is a common mental illness, but it is often difficult to treat.

People with depression may lose interest in enjoyable activities and can have trouble sleeping. They also lose energy and feel tired all the time.

They might also experience changes in their appetite and weight. Depression can lead to thoughts of hurting oneself or others.
There are many types of depression, including:
-major depressive disorder (MDD)
-persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia)
-other specified depressive disorder (OSDD)
-unspecified depressive disorder (UDD)

According to the American Psychology Association, more than 18% of the population will suffer from depression by the time they reach the age of 65. While this statistic may not seem like much, it amounts to almost 43 million people in the United States alone.

The reason for this epidemic is not yet known, but a recent study has revealed that in a specific region of the brain, serotonin is not as prevalent as it should be in people who suffer from depression. Although this research should help scientists to better understand and treat depression, it does not create a cure.

Personally i feel long term depression is far from the fact that one is poor,don't have fame or what other material things do people blame, as we have seen so many with so many earthly possession s, yet no Joy.

Bard Racheal

Depression has been what has made many people loose their lives.

It plunges people into commiting suicide.

Depression has done so much harm to our society at large.

Some persons who are not prone to being depressed, ask this question 'what is the cause of this depression of a thing?'

Most people's answer will be. 'when there is lack, why won't there be depression?'

When someone is depressed he or she feels like they don't belong, they don't deserve to live.

If they're not well taken care of and educated, solving some of their needs,my friend, you should be ready to loose that close person.

I in person,has gone through a whole lot in the hands of depression

As the writer/poet I am, how I curb it most time is when I pick up a pen and a sheet of paper, then cast all my worries on it.
If I haven't done that,which is the needful to do at that point in time,I'll loose it gradually.

Also, good music is very important at that time. Music?
Not those ones that helps to worsen the case. If you listen to those music that takes into a tour depression; it's not helping matters at all

Try listen to lively music.
Hang out with good friends.
Try to interact with people around you,do not exclude yourself from a lively environment or conversation.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
When I was younger the stroke and breast cancer were almost unheard of. But nearing the new millennium I have been reading all about breast cancer and I have been seeing stroke victims. The reason for that is not the number because I think such diseases have patients that were already there before and there was no media to report. With depression, it is the same thing. Patients do not want to divulge of their condition because it is a shame. But now being depressed is an accepted issue by the society so the patients are not ashamed to even post their condition in social media. But I agree that it is all about the kind of life that we have now so that depression is very common. The modern life is fast paced and social media is adding to the burden that we carry on our mind.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I agree with what you are saying , most of the depression is not as a result that these people do not have the required money that is needed to take care of themselves but sometimes it could be as a result of certain disease or anything that ties them down and they are not able to exercise their freedom as they used to be before, it could be a disease like I have just mentioned earlier and it would also be another thing .

But well no matter how you are as long as there is food and good internet connection there should be no problem in your life that could lead to depression.

At The same time a lot of people are always depressed because they don't have employment or they are not able to achieve the best life they wanted .

This is more intense because a lot of people are looking forward on how to achieve a better life but because of certain light conditions they are not able to achieve what they needed in life , I believe the best thing they have to do is to keep on chasing and pursuing their dream ,with time they are likely to succeed.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I agree with what you are saying , most of the depression is not as a result that these people do not have the required money that is needed to take care of themselves but sometimes it could be as a result of certain disease or anything that ties them down and they are not able to exercise their freedom as they used to be before, it could be a disease like I have just mentioned earlier and it would also be another thing .

But well no matter how you are as long as there is food and good internet connection there should be no problem in your life that could lead to depression.

At The same time a lot of people are always depressed because they don't have employment or they are not able to achieve the best life they wanted .

This is more intense because a lot of people are looking forward on how to achieve a better life but because of certain light conditions they are not able to achieve what they needed in life , I believe the best thing they have to do is to keep on chasing and pursuing their dream ,with time they are likely to succeed

E

eldavis

I think another way to deal with depression is the mindset, so many people fall into depression easily cause of one or two problems they are goin through. Having a positive mindset always would definitely help, though this is not easy.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
In my humble opinion, depression is overrated, weak people are quick to fall into depression because of any slight reason, there's a thin line between depression and weakness.

As human beings, our whole being is based on toil, we all have personal issues we're dealing with, either internal or external, our loved ones will die, we will fail in school, we will lose money, our wife or husband will die.

Yes, these are sad moment that can be very heartbreaking but the question is will the world stop because we're grieving?

Certainly No, so we shouldn't make any setback we encounter as a reason to slip into depression, setbacks must occur whether we like it or not, we should cultivate a culture of not letting things get to us.

Depression is real but weak people makes it popular.

Good luck

Verified member
Depression has really render a lot of people useless in our society.It is something that has cause a lot of chaos in many cases.Depression is easily set in when your mind is full of so many things and you are not ready to share it with people that are closer to them at every point.Depression has killed so many people

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Thank you for sharing, it is really important for us to take our health seriously

No matter the reason why so many people are suffering from depreciation, now that we have understand some of this reason, it is our responsibility is to try and avoid them as much as possible.

I know there are some situation in life in which things are not working out as we are expecting and sometimes we may be so disappointed and we don't even know of the best thing to do. In such situation we should rather look for a way forward and not really do think over about things that will not likely help improve your future.

Sometimes depression can be so dangerous if it passes a stage that you are so depressed about things that you can't even engage in your normal activities.

In most cases prevention is always better than cure and because of this I believe that preventing this from happening to you in the first place can really save you from feeling depressed to a point that you start thinking of suicide.

Everything and all our problem can be settled if we just sit down and look for a positive way forward.

blessingc

Feeling sad, unhappy has to do.with your mentality, how you see things, how deep you think things, how you feel about yourself, maybe how you compare yourself with other people, how you feel inferior, or even how you wish for self pity. You think you are suffering more than others are or you lost someone dear, or you are facing just so many challenges.

People get depressed when they read what they ought not to what they can't manage or watch stuffs like that too. When you are light hearted, you get touched easily there are some sort of things you need to avoid.

There are some foods we eat that can also cause depression. To avoid depression it is good to mingle with good people, people who can make you happy and those who value your worth. Do exercises to keep away from thinking.
Eat healthy; avoid eating too heavy, or foods that keep you down, eat alot of beans and fruits and vegetables, have enough of sleep.

Taking in alcohol can lead to depression too. When you feel down tell people around you do not sink into thinking, it kills. Have friends that you understands you, that can share you up when you feel down.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Depression has become so common in today's world. I understand it to be that feeling of extreme misery where you feel so hopeless and unworthy. So you spend most of your time unable to do the things you used to love doing and you feel so angry most of the time. Then you loose a sense of self esteem and so render yourself unworthy to do anything great.

The hard times that people are facing right is the biggest cause of the high rate of depression. The biggest one being economic issues. Many nations are going through inflations and the economy is just bad. Moreover, people are unemployed and don't know where to get money. This causes extreme stress that eventually turns into depression.

Since people's mental health are poor already due to external factors, it is so hard to maintain relationships. Either your family, siblings or your lover. People are so poor in maintaining good relationships when they are going through hard economic times and uncertainty in life. So difficulties in relationships further lead to depression.

Then there is the issue of being uncertain about life and what the future holds. You may start feeling so bad for yourself since nothing seems to make sense right now. You are unemployed, everything is expensive and relationships seen to be so hard. So you loose hope in your entire life.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Depression has become so common in today's world. I understand it to be that feeling of extreme misery where you feel so hopeless and unworthy. So you spend most of your time unable to do the things you used to love doing and you feel so angry most of the time. Then you loose a sense of self esteem and so render yourself unworthy to do anything great.

The hard times that people are facing right is the biggest cause of the high rate of depression. The biggest one being economic issues. Many nations are going through inflations and the economy is just bad. Moreover, people are unemployed and don't know where to get money. This causes extreme stress that eventually turns into depression.

Since people's mental health are poor already due to external factors, it is so hard to maintain relationships. Either your family, siblings or your lover. People are so poor in maintaining good relationships when they are going through hard economic times and uncertainty in life. So difficulties in relationships further lead to depression.

Then there is the issue of being uncertain about life and what the future holds. You may start feeling so bad for yourself since nothing seems to make sense right now. You are unemployed, everything is expensive and relationships seen to be so hard. So you loose hope in your entire life.

Unfortunately, depression is one of the most widely spread disorder and there are so many people who are suffering from this disorder. In order to get depression treated, people just understand what caused the depression in the first place and what kind of treatment options are available for people. In order to get the disorder treated, people must seek the help of professional. NEVER take any medicine without consulting the doctor. When people suffer from depression, medicines like psychotic medications are prescribed by experts.

Some doctors even prescribe antidepressants and other form of drugs that could alter the neurotransmitters in the brain and they could help to ease the symptoms associated with depression, but I think that taking medicines alone is not the solution of any kind of problems because people must try to figure out the main cause of the disease and also try to add therapy and other forms of treatment in order to fight off depression completely. Chronic depression is bad for health. It destroys health just like fire destroys wood. Research shows that people who suffer from depression are more likely to age faster and they are more likely to suffer from diseases and early death.