Why You Must Work for Someone Before Starting a Business.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I see so many young people telling me they want to be business people and won't want to work for anyone. I simply just laugh at them because it is imperative that anyone that has worked for another business organisation for some period of time make better business people and entrepreneurs. You must work for someone before starting your business. Why?

1) A job offers you an avenue to build financial capacity for your business: You can use your paycheck from your job to build capital or emergency funds that would help your proposed business somewhere along the line.

2) A job gives you firsthand exposure to business management skills: By working in an organization, you would be exposed to operational and man management skills.

3) Network Building: When you are part of an organisation, you get to meet and build relationships with people who can be of help to you in your proposed business.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
This might be different from other people's view, but it's actually good to work for someone before you start your own business it might not necessarily be the same job your startup is going to be based on but if, it's perfect. When you work for someone, you actually get experience and maybe inspirations too depending on the firm and the owner too. Sometimes when I'm dealing with some cases in life, I have a flash back of how I had handled such matters sometimes ago, it makes a clearer picture of the way I should handle things.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
It is always advisable for whomever that wants to start a business to have worked with someone else before starting their own business. This will help them to have much exposure to this kind of business and as well experience about this particular business.

Apart from having exposure, it is still better to have worked with someone, this will make it easier for the person to have more money to kick start the business. While working with someone, it may be better to start some saving scheme in order to have money to start off a business of our own