7 factors to consider before agreeing to be a guarantor

ENZO5

Verified member
I don't advice anybody to take loan for someone o or even sign as a guarantor. I have my own reasons. I sign as a guarantor for my neighbor that was in need of urgent cash to clear her bills, she promised to pay back before due date. It was time for her to settle the loan, she couldn't. What do you expect from the loan people? They turned their face of fire to me, they called me almost everyday threatening me, hmmmm. They even came to my house to take my smart TV and decoder, it's a long story guys.

Let's talk about some Factors before agreeing to be a guarantor.

As a guarantor for someone else's loan, you take on legal responsibility for paying the debt if the borrower is unable to repay it. It's important to consider several factors before agreeing to be a guarantor:

ABILITY TO REPAY THE DEBT: Can you afford to repay the loan if the borrower defaults on it? Consider your income, expenses, and other financial obligations before making a commitment.

CREDIT SCORE: Being a guarantor can have a negative impact on your credit score, especially if the borrower misses payments. Make sure you understand the potential impact on your credit before you agree to be a guarantor.

RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BORROWER: Consider the relationship you have with the borrower. If the borrower is a family member or close friend, you may be more willing to take on the risk. However, if the relationship is strained, it's important to think carefully before becoming a guarantor.

LOAN TERMS: Review the loan terms carefully, including the interest rate, repayment period, and any fees associated with the loan. Make sure you understand what you're agreeing to before you sign on as a guarantor.

LEGAL OBLIGATIONS: As a guarantor, you have legal obligations that you need to understand. Make sure you understand the terms of the loan agreement and the consequences of not fulfilling your obligations as a guarantor.

REPAYMENT HISTORY OF THE BORROWER: Check the borrower's credit history and repayment history to see if they have a history of missed payments or defaulted loans. If the borrower has a poor repayment history, it increases the likelihood that you will need to step in as a guarantor.

PURPOSE OF THE LOAN: Understanding why the borrower needs the loan can help you determine if it's a responsible use of credit. If the loan is being used for something that's unlikely to result in a positive financial outcome, you may want to reconsider being a guarantor.