Are there actually useless courses in the university?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Among students, it is common to see some individual mocking some kind of fields of study has been very useless since they believe that studying such courses will never get you a job when you graduate. I just do not want to agree with such as Assertions at all because the main aim of going to school is not all about securing a job, but there are so many things which you can benefit in addition to you being able to secure a well-paying job upon graduation.

I want us to really share our ideas of what we think about these courses and if you really believe that there are any useless courses to study in the university you can list them here so that some of us will either agree with you or disagree on them and I do where necessary.

The world is just so fast and I did not want to think of any course has ever been useless at all because knowledge from different Fields combined together is what they really worked in keeping our society strong as we are currently enjoying it now.

What do you have to say about this very important topic and how best to answer people who think like This?

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
There is absolutely no course that could be studied in the university that is classified as being useless , because if it was useless why then does the course exist . Every course of study that is available in majority of higher educational institutions are not there for formalities but rather they are there for individuals to engage themselves in , so as to become graduates on such a course of study and get a well-paying job . It is not that a particular University course cannot be useless , of course it can but this is not caused as a result of itself but rather as a result of the environment in which it is situated .

Some courses of study in higher educational institutions in developing country and considered to be useless because they have not impacted into the economic and political productivity of their country in any way . In the country Nigeria university courses like history and international relations are sometimes considered to be useless and also other educational courses are sometimes considered to be useless because what will likely happen to graduate of this kind of course is that they may end up jobless or possibly become a minimum income earner .

E

eldavis

I do not think there is anything like a useless course, the problem is that most of these courses are not profitable in most countries. Like there are some courses here in my country that can be found in most universities, but the issue is that it would be very difficult to get a job within the country, but in other countries these are actually very lucrative.

Sikapa

Verified member
There is no useless course any where bit the course can be useless depending on the person who offered it. You see so many people studied a course and they couldn't make a good use of it making the course a useless but some body also did the same course and he was able to make a good use of it. This depend on the person who is studying the course and not the course itself.

For example, I did art in school and I'm the only person who has been able to become artist. The rest of the have all divert into different jobs. This means that their study of art in school has become useless but not the art course itself. This is the reason why you have to choose the course in which you have your interest so that it will never be a waste of time and resources.

Mika

VIP Contributor
There are no useless courses in the university. The university courses are for helping people acquire knowledge, and there is no such thing as useless knowledge. However, if you try to analyze courses in terms of building a career and making money, you will find that some courses are more profitable than others. I once had a friend who was studying weather science at the university, according to my friend only 6 students had enrolled for the course in the entire university and of then only 4 students attended the classes regularly. Now, you can compare this with the students enrolled in a mathematics course at the same university. The mathematics department had to reject students because it could not accommodate more than 200 students in the class. Weather science is not a useless course, yet very few people were interested in learning weather science compared to mathematics because it was easier to build a career when you enroll in mathematics compared to weather science. In the same university, the influx of students willing to study for MBA was higher than the students willing to learn Mathematics because MBA was believed to be a better career option. Some courses have higher monetary value than others.

cmoneyspinner

When I attended university, all my college mates told me that the only useless courses were the sociology classes; and that getting a sociology degree was a waste of 4 years of my life and a ticket to a low income job. In short, they said, it was a degree for dummies. I thought their criticism was rather harsh. Although, I did have a friend who graduated with a degree in sociology and for the money she was making, she might as well have applied for a cashier's job at a grocery store. But I don't think any university courses are useless. It all depends on what you do with what you learn. A university is an institution of higher learning but some folks just don't have high ambitions.

Are there actually useless courses in the university? This is a question that has been debated for years. Some people believe that there are useless courses in the university, while others believe that all courses have some value. In this writeup, I will explore both sides of the argument and provide my own opinion on the matter.

There are certainly some courses in the university that may seem useless at first glance. For example, a course on the history of fashion might not seem like it would be useful to someone who wants to become a doctor. However, upon further examination, it is easy to see how this course could be useful. It could teach students about the importance of paying attention to detail, something that is essential in the medical field.

There are also courses that may be seen as useful, but only to a certain degree. For example, a course on accounting might be seen as useful to someone who wants to become a business owner. However, the course might only be marginally useful to someone who wants to become a doctor. In other words, while the course may have some value, it is not essential for all students.

So, are there actually useless courses in the university? In my opinion, there are no completely useless courses in the university. Even the most seemingly useless courses can have some value. However, there may be some courses that are only marginally useful to certain students. It is up to the individual student to decide whether or not a course is worth taking.

blessingc

As far as education is concern nothing learnt is a waste, no course is useless. But as as matter of fact Nigeria has made alot if courses very much needless to study. There are many courses in Nigeria that one doesn't need to study else you will remain jobless. Students ought to go for courses that can provide them employment after school, this is one of the reasons why many graduates are jobless after the many years of study, it is a pity though. Students go for courses they are passionate about not what they can get a job from.

After studying environmental science in school, then you come out and expect to be given a job related to that, the Nigerian environment are not looking for graduates who will help take care of it's environment. They find it difficult to pay civil servants who do the primary jobs, they find it difficult to employ more teaches, more nurses, more workers generally because they do not want to pay salaries, so, going for a course that doesn't mean a thing to the government and to our leaders, you are wasting your time pretty much. It is definitely useless, with wasted years.