Best business ideas for retirees

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
There are elderly and retirees who really organised their selfs to start up a business after retirement for the main purpose of having some things to rely on , they might be looking for the best business opportunity they could start to generate some profit and also a business that could possibly be stress-free since they might not really be able to carry out every business activities as they used to do , some of these business below can be done by retiree who are looking for some business idea.

1) REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT: This is one of the most lucrative business for people who are retired and are looking for the best opportunity to start a business without stress ,

if they could be able to invest in a property and rent out this property on yearly basis the possibility of generating extra income will be higher and you won't also have to run around trying to satisfy your customers and so and it is. It is a stress free business.

Investment in real estate requires a huge sum of money and people who are ready to invest in real estate are those who must be stable financially as it will require a huge financial commitment.

2) MANAGING A GROCERY STORE OR A PROVISION SHOP. This is another business that could easily be done by people who are retired and those who are not interested to invest in a stressful business.

Since this type of business deals with products that are being consumed by people on daily basis the chance of succeeding in this business Will Be higher if your location is really suitable to start up a business. In whatever business we are about to establish location must be put into consideration .

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Many people who have worked hard their whole lives may find themselves suddenly retired without a clear idea of what to do next. They have a nest egg that can provide them with some income, and they may even have access to a chunk of equity in their home, but they need more than financial security. They also want social interaction, something to occupy their brain, and purpose.

If you’ve found yourself in this situation as well as looking for ideas on how to make money from home, you might be surprised at the wide variety of options available. The following are just three ideas to consider: Stock market and real estate

Chibson

VIP Contributor
There are several business ideas for retirees. It doesn't really make sense for someone to retire from a public service and decide to not do anything with his life again when it comes to business.
Real estate business is definitely one of the best businesses in which anyone can venture into including retirees and of course make a whole lot of money on it. Once you have money then it is not really hard to manage a real estate property because anyone can do it no matter your age or business experience provided you have people around you to guide you. In the place where I currently reside there are a lot of retired people who are into real estate business. What some of them simply do is to act as agents and when people buy real estate properties they are given some commission. This is of course one of the best business ideas for anyone.
Grocery business is also another good business idea for retirees like you have stated. The business is not really hard to run provided you have small little knowledge of how to make sales. Poultry business is also another good business idea for anyone including retirees. This kind of business is always booms during festive seasons.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Well, from your list I'd prefer real estate because they can start this when they're still working by building houses if there salary is enough and then build a sustainable income for themselves but this is only possible if there salary is much, what if they earn only a meagre amount that can barely take them a month?

And this is the reality for most of the people in the so called 'working world', they don't even earn enough so savings is out of the equation.

A business that I think will fit and those not require much money is farming, yes farming, because with farming they're sure of earning 10x what they invested and then looking at they're retired already they'll be involved with most of the farm activities and it'll be prevent them from getting swindled.

A lot of retirees are wallowing in poverty especially in Nigeria, they don't have adequate welfare and most of the times they don't even get to receive their full benefits after they retire.

I'd really such folks to give farming a trial and they'll never regret it, agricultural produce is always in demand and you don't have to worry about selling after harvesting If you carry out a proper research before venturing in.

funmi

Verified member
Retirement is something everyone should be bother about it should not be treated with levity or as something that has to do with the elderly folks alone. This is because we all are not getting any younger as the day passes by we are all approaching our retirement age. We should make plans for our retirement even from this early age, I know many will disagree with me but that is the truth. We find so many retired people this days roaming the place as a result of the fact that they didn't plan their retirement in good time. Hence we must take our time to prepare for this very importance time of our lives so that we will not have to depend on our child and over burden with responsibilities that we ought to be able to handle on our own.

Well as regards things we can do at our retirement age will certainly differ from person to persons depending on the taste and health of the individual. But investing in real estate is going to be very lucrative. One can also invest in crypto currency. As the coins has been know to always appreciate with the passage of time.

D

Deleted member 13140

I would prefer the managing of grocery stores, I don't know why but the two really depends on the people that retired, like what do they like and most importantly how old were there when they retired I mean you can't expect a full old man to go into real estate investment, but an old man could manage a store and earn from it, real estate requires a lot of thinking and strategy what land to purchase and all that and not only that I think real estate has a lot of drama, when I say drama I mean conflict that could sometimes lead to could cases stressing the old man out.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
There are different type of business a retiree can do if they are looking for ways to earn extra source of income to cater for some of their needs.

The business must not be stressful as they have less strength to do physical works. The following are some of the businesses that are good for a retiree and senior citizens.

Home based business
Home-based business is one of the best business for a senior citizens and those who have retired.

The business must be the one that will solve the neighborhood so as to get rid of the stress involved in distributing the products. Example of home-based business for senior citizens are soap making consultancy and counseling.

Become an author
It is being said at our life is full of different books. A senior citizen can make use of the free time they have to create a book that will benefit the human humanity and send it to the publishers.

The reason is that a senior citizen will have a wealth of different experience to share the younger generation. the books need to be published once and they are going to receive royalty from every sales on monthly basis.

Starting a YouTube channel
I know this can be absorbed but it is one of the best ways for a senior citizen to get engaged in activities that will bring in money. I have seen a senior citizens who have over a million followers on YouTube as he is a rendering different tips on life general.

Kendy

Verified member
Retirees are individuals who have reached the age or time where they decide not to engage in any daily or tedious jobs again. Retirement does not really have to do with age because even young people retire early in their lives. It is just unfortunate that in my Country, one must become very old and almost shrinking before he or she can think of retirement because of the adverse nature of the economy. Retirement can be done at anytime an individual feels it is comfortable which is a voluntary retirement and some might be involuntary due to health challenges. In government organisations, people retire after years of active civil service which cannot be extended even if you wanted to.

There are different works retirees can engage which is not tedious and one of those would be; counselling or coaching. Now, for instance, a retiree whose field was in management, he can set up a office where he becomes a coach and counsels people on how to manage their businesses or assets. Also, trading online is also good, where he trades on cryptocurrencies and Forex as well. Again, engaging in online tutorials and coaching about job retention and overall life experiences is a way of making income. For offline, real estate investment is always my best recommendation for retirees.

E

eldavis

Personally I think investments in real estate is more idea for retired workers or advanced people, it's less stressful as you can easily employ a caretaker that would assist you. Another good one is running a poultry shop, this business in particular is pretty lucrative. Running a small shop is also another good one, you could see food items.

Rachael

Verified member
There are many business ventures a retiree or retirees could engage. Most retirees already plan their lives and envision their retirement age how they would want it to be. Some who are working in government establishments are already sure of a pension scheme but still have their own personal saving schemes. I know od a retiree who worked for 40years in civil service, he saved nothing less than 20% of his salary to a personal savings account which he made a fixed deposit and whatever fringe benefits he accumulated, he saved it in another special accounts. He had just a child, so the responsibilities was not too burdensome for him. He engaged and invested in real estate properties. He purchased lands in rural areas, where he cultivated crops on some, used some for rental services and leased some out for some period of years according to the agreement and resold them when the value appreciated. Honestly speaking, it was because of this man which made me get really curious and interested in real estate investment. You would think he worked in an oil company because he was very wealthy. Some retirees set up shops and sell baby items, kitchen utensils and other ventures which would not be so stressful.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
One thing is sure when you are an employee in a white collar job it could be a private firm or a governmental organisations . the thing that is sure is that you will one day retire . Some business organisations including governmental organisations makes the retirement age of their employees to be from 60 to 65 years . Whatever the case may be the big question that should be asked is what else can I do to earn a living after retirement ? . It is important that when you are close to age of retirement you must have saved a lot of money to back you up possibly to find a self-employed business which could be or serve as a source of income .

One of the self-employed business a retiree can establish his to open a grocery or provision shop . Provision shops is the best retiree business idea after being retired from his or her White collar job . Provision shop sells consumers and essential goods and services . But in order to make profit as a provision shop owner you must make sure to sit with your business in an area where you will meet high demand . Due to the fact that provision shops sells essential and consumer goods it must be located in an area with high population of people to meet high demand .