Can you quit your #200,000 business to manage a $50m extended family business?

marcusfe

As an entrepreneur you started a business from the scratch and were able to manage to worth #200,000 in value. You know how much have endured to achieve this. Suddenly there is a call from your family house, that the whole family has seen your financial prowess and want to commit the family business that Worth's #50m to your hand. As an African person especially from Nigeria you know how difficult it is to be in charge of the family things. Even if the entire family joyfully handover something to your hand, it doesn't mean that they are happy about it. You know the risk involved, which may even cause you your life.
In this case what would you do as an entrepreneur?

Teatea

I think you have already answered the question in your post with all the conditions you attached. No one would willingly go for something that would cost them their lives. Handling a family business is not the issue but the baggage that comes with it.
For me, I'd rather stay with my business, i can't just quit after working tirelessly for years, building my empire from scratch and then just leave halfway.

Briangsam

This is a very tough call to make. I don't think I will be able to take that up. Families differ anyway but I don't think any well-thought entrepreneur will decide to abandon his or her business and take up a family business. That is war you are brewing. Members of the family will expect your children not to have the best of lives than theirs. If they do, or you even do, it is all from the family money. I can't take it.

Samuel72

Verified member
According to my own point of view as a well experienced business man I will say yes I can quit my 200,000 job to manage a 50 million extended family business, this is because as an employee someday you will get retired and you have to stay home empty, but when it comes to business, you can never be retired. business last forever, your son can even inherit your business from you, and also business grows a 50 million extended family business can become a 200 million extended family business in the next 4 years

Victor001

Seriously,it doesn't have to always be about the money,there is what we call self worth, there is nothing captivating as been a controller of your own business,being able to decide your capital earning.choose who and when to come to work, it's all self satisfaction. Business involving family will limit you all this proceeds and most times sharing of interest can cause calamity.