Children and food Choice.

raaman

Valued Contributor

Forcing children to eat certain foods does not work. Banning certain foods doesn't work either. When children think that a food is forbidden by their parents, then the food will more often be, more desirable. It's important for children and adults being sensitive to and enjoy all foods and drinks, but don't overdo any food. Sweets and higher-fat snack foods in adequate portions are fine in adequate amounts.

Childhood is the best time to start heart-healthy eating habits, but adult goals for reducing total fat, saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol is not generally made for children under two years. Fat is an essential nutrient that supplies the energy or calories they need for active growth and play and should not be severely restricted.

However, high fat intake, specifically a diet high in saturated fat, can lead to health problems, including heart disease, later in life. Saturated fats are usually solid at room temperature and are found in fatty meats and many dairy products such as whole milk, cheese, and ice cream.

For that reason, after the age of two, children should eat foods low in fat and saturated fat. Healthier choices include more low-fat, low-cholesterol foods like poultry, fish, and lean meat like cooked, baked, or roasted; not fried, soft margarine instead of butter, dairy products low-fat and low-saturated fat oils and limit the consumption of eggs.

anil02

Verified member
In these most of children have problem of obesity. Their eating habit is responsible for it. It is in hand of parents to develop habit of heathy eating in them. In these most of children like to earn fast food, which have not any nutricians. If parents have habit of healthy eating children will follow it.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor

Forcing children to eat certain foods does not work. Banning certain foods doesn't work either. When children think that a food is forbidden by their parents, then the food will more ofen be, more desirable. It's important for children and adults being sensitive to and enjoy all foods and drinks, but don't overdo any food. Sweets and higher-fat snack foods in adequate portions are fine in adequate amounts.

Childhood is the best time to start heart-healthy eating habits, but adult goals for reducing total fat, saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol is not generally made for children under two years. Fat is an essential nutrient that supplies the energy or calories they need for active growth and play and should not be severely restricted.

However, high fat intake, specifically a diet high in saturated fat, can lead to health problems, including heart disease, later in life. Saturated fats are usually solid at room temperature and are found in fatty meats and many dairy products such as whole milk, cheese, and ice cream.

For that reason, after the age of two, children should eat foods low in fat and saturated fat. Healthier choices include more low-fat, low-cholesterol foods like poultry, fish, and lean meat like cooked, baked, or roasted; not fried, soft margarine instead of butter, dairy products low-fat and low-saturated fat oils and limit the consumption of eggs.
Hi.Hope you are doing well.Thank you for your informative article about children and food choice.

I absolutely agree with every single word you mention in your article. I am sure that especially parents will find it very helpful.

Unfortunately,children eat unhealthy food.They like eating lots of sweets and fast food.They also like drinking soft drinks.As a result,they put on weight and they have health problems.

Some parents force their children to eat healthy food but it does not work.I think that it is better parents to be a good example for their children.I mean that if parents eat healthy food,then the children will follow their example.

A healthy diet which includes fresh fruit and vegetables in combination with regular exercise will help both parents and children stay healthy.

arunima25

Verified member
I have been a parent and student counselor for years. And for any parenting related question including healthy eating habits, I have one universal answer that children especially the young ones learn through imitation. And children are smart enough to imitate you under your skin. So a fake pretence would not work.
So, if you expect a healthy eating habits in your children, you need to have one yourselves as parents. You can not preach something and follow something else. Children learn more by living than preaching. Setting up a hone cooked simple meal, enjoying meal time as family bonding time are few simple tipe to instill the healthy eating habits.
But then the influence of peers and outside world can not be ignored. And too much of parental control will lead to a useless tug of war between the two parties. So, one nerds to have a balance. Junks or not so healthy choices can be a part once in a while especially when teens and youths are partying out with peers.
Making talks about healthy habits including food habits in a casual and not preaching way from early age is good and serves benefits in long run. Once children are aware of healthy eating and it's benefit, they will value it for life. They will know that moderation and balance is the key. An inner discipline and motivation works wonders not the outside forced one.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Children must be taught good eating habit right from their childhood. Children as well as adult do hage preference when it comes to eating and there should not be compulsion on any type of food. For instance, a child may determine not to be conversant with a very type of food, it is not the duty of the parents to be forcing him to do it.

The way children eat are determined by how their parents eat. Parents are the first teacher of children and they learn from them indirectly most time. I see still see an educated adult that still dips his bread in his tea. I am very sure he learnt it from home.

Weaning children must also be careful with. They should be taught how to eat liquid food first before solid since they have been conversant with breast. It is somehow of a parent giving solid food to a baby that had just been weaned.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This topic reminds me of my childhood days. It was unfortunate that our family was experiencing financial hardship when I entered school. I was always hungry because a snack is a rarity in our home. This is not to complain that my parents were neglecting us. They bought a lot and built a house so it is understandable that we were paying the loan. When I was in high school life got better and food was getting all right. I was voracious in my eating and although I didn't like fish but I began to like vegetables. Of course, meat is the number 1 when it comes to dishes. What do you know, I am the tallest in the brood of 4 boys and 2 girls. I owe that to the way I eat. When the finances got better I would always be snacking on bread and whatever there is to go with it like jam or butter. Eating often can make a child grow tall.

E

eldavis

Train up a child in the way he should grow... When it comes to eating habits, most children do not like eating healthy at all, most times the parents are the cause of this, cause they tend to buy snacks biscuits and drinks or juice for the kids when they are about going out. After eating this, the kids might nolonger have the interest of eating healthy food again. Then they start complaining about how the child is not eating but it's how they brought them up. Start training them up in the eating habits you want from them at an early stage.