Fiverr vs Upwork: Which Platform is Better for Freelance Writing?

Mika

VIP Contributor
As a freelance writer, you can write a lot of things, for example, articles, blog posts, web content, copies, whitepaper, SEO content, eBook, etc. If you are wondering where you can get freelance writing jobs, Fiverr and Upwork are the two most popular options available. However, the question is which platform is better for freelance writing.

Fiverr and Upwork are freelance marketplace for various kinds of work and writing is one of them. There is one basic difference between these two platforms. On Upwork, you will have to search for freelancing jobs and you will have to bid on the appropriate jobs. The bidding process involves writing a job application and sending it to the employer. The employer will screen the application and hire the one that he finds most appropriate. In order to improve your chances, you will have to establish yourself as a highly-rated freelancer on Upwork.

On Fiverr, you will have to create a service listing, they call it gig. Your gig would be something like “I will write a blog post for $10” or I will write an eBook for $100!” etc. When people looking for specific services find your gigs and order the gig, you can start working on the job and make money when the buyer approves your submission.

Proxy-Sale

Upwork is really not a bad platform, I worked on it for a while, in general there are useful options. But Fiverr in my opinion really wins, as for a freelancer without much experience I think it is much more suitable option.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Fiverr and Upwork are both popular platforms for finding freelance writing jobs. Both platforms offer a wide range of writing-related services and connect freelancers with clients looking for written content. However, there are some differences between the two platforms that may make one a better choice for freelance writing, depending on your needs and preferences.

One difference between Fiverr and Upwork is the focus of the platform. Fiverr primarily focuses on small projects and tasks, with a lower rate of pay for services compared to Upwork. Upwork, on the other hand, offers a wider range of project types and tends to have higher pay rates. This can make Upwork a better choice for freelance writers looking for more substantial projects or higher pay.

Another difference is the way that clients and freelancers connect on the platform. Fiverr uses a more structured system, with freelancers creating "gigs" that outline their services and rates. Clients can then browse and purchase these services. Upwork, on the other hand, uses a proposal system, where freelancers can apply for jobs posted by clients and submit proposals outlining their qualifications and rates. This can make Upwork a better choice for writers who prefer to have more control over the jobs they apply for and the rates they charge.

Ultimately, the best platform for freelance writing will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Both Fiverr and Upwork can be good options for finding writing work, but it's important to carefully consider the differences between the platforms to determine which is the best fit for you.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I have an account on both platforms and I can tell you for sure that Fiverr is more friendly to people who are getting started as freelancers online. If you are a new freelancer who is just getting started I will advise you to sign up on fiverr and get started from there.

On upwork you are required to apply for jobs and the ones that seems most suitable for clients will be chosen by them. There is also some kind of test in which will be given if you want to sign up on the platform which you either pass or you fail.

If you fail or pass they will send you an email notifying you about the application. But that does not apply to fiverr because once you are able to sign up an account on you will create your gigs and if you are lucky enough, you can get your first order even in your first week.