How to avoid common Property Management Mistakes

Nite

Valued Contributor
Property management can become an investment with rewards. But property owners often doesn't realize how this investment can be a complex one. Because property management often involves detailed agreements, there's lot of room for error to happen. And it's better not to know how property management mistakes can quickly make a dent in one's budget. To reduce the costs and headaches, avoiding these common property management mistakes is important.

Failed To Do Property Maintenance Routinely
Property Maintenance is among the most important part of property investment. Anything could happen to a property, from cracked window to more serious concerns which can directly influence a tenant's safety. The best way to address these situations before they become worse, is to do a routine inspection of the property. The inspection will not only ensure the tenant's safety, but also protect you from financial liabilities.

Bypass Screening New Tenants Unfortunately, there are tenants who know how to exploit their landlords. To save yourself from the financial loss, it's always necessary to screen tenants, have them fill out all the proper information regarding their background. Also, verify the tenant's identity by getting a copy of their valid form of identification, like driving licence or passport.

Being Lax About Late Rent Policy You are the property owner, you must take on the position of an enforcer, and confront the tenant as soon as you determine the rent is overdue. Implementing late rent charges is important, and if really needed, you can start an eviction process.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Well it's not really compulsory that I have to be the one to manage all the properties I have if I may invest in real estate in the future , the reason is because I may have other business I have to concentrate on and in this case I believe I will just have to employ a real estate business organisation or company to take care of the management of my property, because if you are a business personel , the time to concentrate on your business and also the time to concentrate in management of your real estate business may not be available and even if you have to manage both of them this is still going to be very stressful for you, I don't have to go through all the stress to manage a property when there are trusted real estate real estate organisation to take the bottom off my head..

funmi

Verified member
Your write up is very important but in some places, before a tenant rent the house, they will be loyal to you but immediately after they paid their rent or obtain the house, they become the bosses of the house. Paying up the next rent as at when due will become a very big problem for them. Without paying up their rent they will still be claiming right. And when are being dragged to court, the law will still give them some couple of months to pay up.
But if you are also a good person that attends to the needs of your tenants as at when due, then it will be easy for you to send them away if you like. I once lived in a house that the land lord does not come to the house to inspect or ask the tenants if they have any challenge or not. But when your rent is due ,that is when the will come to collect their money. So, the land had a lot of role to play in order to put things in order.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There is always review of tenants maybe quarterly. This will let the owner to be sure of the tenants he has. There are some tenants that always change their behavior some years after they have been staying in the house. That's the reason why frequent review of tenants is necessary. And a tenant that doesn't want to go can be reported or at worst, the house owner will just increase the house rent to dissuade the tenants to stay further

Nite

Valued Contributor
Sotherefore. Of course, if you can afford it then you can surely employ a real estate organisation for the management of your property. But, if someone can't then the above points that I have explained are for those people.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I think the screening of tenants is mandatory in every rental because that is the most crucial when it comes to the payment of rental. The capacity to pay the rent is always the first question that in our country it is required to show the annual tax return for the proof of income. For the commercial rental the kind of business is checked together with the permits to operate. Other than that there is also the number of persons to occupy the place for the residential and the number of staff for the commercial tenant. Now, it makes me wonder why the screening of new tenants will be bypassed. That is a grave neglect on the part of the property manager.

Regarding the enforcement of the late rental payment policy personally my take on this issue is consideration. It is all right to be late for half a month and even for 1 month but there must be a valid reason. For being late due repeated financial problems then that tenant would be a candidate for eviction.

Setho

VIP Contributor
It is not just enough for you to build a property and then just leave it there because no matter how good the materials you use in the first instance, you are always going to need to do some routine maintenance and that is something that you should not neglect. Another very important thing is for you to check the credit score and the general history of anybody who wants to become a tenant in your house. You are definitely not going to want to put somebody that has terrorism tendency or a very bad credit score in your property .

Nite

Valued Contributor
Routine maintenance of the property is crucial, so that you can identify and fix minor problems before these problems develop or worsen. It'll save you time and money in the long run, plus it will give a better impression of yourself to your tenants, they'll see you as a responsible and attentive owner. Another thing is to do effective screening of your tenants, otherwise you can run into major problems down the road.