How to Create Product Descriptions to Increase Online Sales

Suba

Staff member
Product description is one of the marketing strategies created to describe and explain products/goods that are sold online both in marketplace applications and other websites.

because customers can't see directly and can't hold the goods, so the product description can give a specific picture of the products/goods you offer and also to attract attention and convince consumers to buy.

Here's how to create a product description that can not only introduce the product/goods you sell but will also increase the selling value, these are:

1. Short and Interesting
Create specific product descriptions. Contains points that are important information for your product. So, do not use long-winded sentences that confuse potential consumers. Make product descriptions that are concise or short, but interesting and clear, so that they are easy to understand for online shoppers.

2. Highlight the uniqueness and advantages of your product
Your product will certainly be different from competitors' products, highlight the advantages, benefits and uniqueness of your product, so that customers will not hesitate to buy your product.

3. Emotional Touch
An emotional touch to the product description will give a more memorable impression than just containing the specifications, features and benefits.

4. Use Simple Language
Use common and easy to understand language, avoid long explanations so consumers are bored to read,

arunima25

Verified member
Those are all beautifully written and valid points. I have experienced it with myself while doing online purchase. I often get pissed off by some product descriptions that are not clear and simple to understand. Such descriptions really put me off. I have cancelled many purchases because I was not satisfied with the product descriptions. They got me confused.
I also have a strong feeling that though the description has to be short and precise, it should not miss out anything important that the potential customer might be looking for.
Simple language that can make sense to common people and is easier to understand, will reach to more crowd.
When we are purchasing something, we tend to compare few products and then make our decision to buy the one that suits our beeds and our budgets. So features and benefits should be clearly mentioned and it should be a honest one. That helps the prospective customers have a clear picture and helps them do the comparison and make a decision. If the descriptions are not helpful, it might put off the prospective buyers. Also emphasis on the key features and benefits should be there as they are the decisive factors for any purchase.
And ofcourse human beings are driven by emotions. So adding an emotional content is always good to get the buyers.

Mika

VIP Contributor
It is relatively easy to write long paragraphs, however, writing sales pitches, product descriptions and product titles is really difficult because you will have to convey the message with few words, not just free words but with a catchy phrase that uses literary devices like word pictures, alliteration, rhymes, etc. You need copywriting skills to write a good title and description for your product. You are a good article writer does not mean you will be able to write good copy. Search engine algorithm uses a lot of things to rank content, but the most important thing is the title because it always tries to display the exact search match, therefore, emphasis should be given to creating a search engine-friendly title. A search-engine-friendly title means a title that uses keywords, keyphrases, or long-tail search terms. Search engine algorithm also takes a cue from description, therefore, you need to use keywords, keyphrases, or long-tail search terms on the description as well. You can sell your products only when your products can appear on the search engines, Even on the marketplace where you are selling your products, your products should rank high on the internal searches. The techniques for internal ranking are also similar to search engine ranking.

myresellerhome

When writing product descriptions for your e-commerce site, it's essential to be excited about your products and help your customers imagine themselves buying them. In addition, product descriptions can be a way to distinguish your products from those of your competitors and can increase online sales.
1. Withhold terminology, including "incredibly cool" and "amazingly powerful." Such lingo may seem sophisticated, but it won't efficiently convey crucial product information to the customer. Rather than referring to your product with such buzzwords, try providing straightforward, concise language that anyone can understand.
2. When describing your product's features, be sure to concentrate on why you are making them and, more importantly, on the benefits that customers will surely enjoy when they buy the products.

arunima25

Verified member
Well, those are some valid points made. Search engine ranking is so important for the sale. We often search for the products that we are looking for. So, the product descriptions should give more emphasis to the main keywords that would help with the search engine ranking. I totally agree that it requires a different skill than article writing or other literary piece of writing. One need not be sophisticated with language or have a fancy expression as any literary work would require.