How to Define What Success Looks Like for Yourself

Jasz

VIP Contributor
There are many ways to define success, but the most common way to people is money . Some people are happy with a comfortable middle-class lifestyle, and others want to be billionaires. Some people want to be famous, and some people want to make an impact on the world. There are many different ways of defining success for yourself, but most people agree that it's important to have your own idea of what it means to be successful.

So how do you go about defining what success looks like for yourself?

The first thing you need to do is figure out where your goals lie. If you want to be rich, then you need money in order to do that; if you want to become famous, then you need fame; and so on. Once you know where your goals lie, then it's time to start thinking about how much money is necessary in order to reach those goals and meet them along the way.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
When we start to define success, it's easy to get caught up in the details. But if you want to achieve your goals successfully, you need to know what success looks like for you.

If you're not sure how to define success for yourself, or if you're unsure whether your goals are good ones and whether they will lead to true happiness, here are some questions you might ask yourself:

What do I want? In other words, what do I really want? This is important because there are many different kinds of success: financial success, professional success, artistic success, athletic success… The list goes on. And each kind of success has its own form of satisfaction. If you don't know what kind of success it is that makes your heart sing, then it's difficult to choose a path toward achieving it.

How much do I really want this? It's easy to get caught up in wanting something just out of reach — a dream car or house or exotic vacation destination — but achieving that goal may not be the best way for you to feel happy about yourself or your life in general. For example, if getting rich would make me happy and contented with my life (and financially secure), then becoming rich is what it is.