How To Know When to Quit Your Current Job

Jasz

VIP Contributor
People use all sorts of reasons to quit a job. Often they quit because they think they can find a better one. They figure that since they are doing poorly, or feel the boss or colleagues are treating them unfairly, that there must be something better waiting for them somewhere else in the world. It is important to have good reasons to quit a job because you don't want to quit and later wish you hadn't.

There comes a point in every job when quitting is a good idea. However, it may be difficult for some to recognize when that moment has arrived. Quitting a job can mean losing friends and coworkers you like, along with the income you counted on to pay your rent or mortgage, and replace your car. Also, many people are reluctant to quit their job because of the uncertainty of what will happen next, or because they fear their reputation might be ruined if they fail. So when should you quit?

The best time to quit a job is when it is clear what your chances for future success and satisfaction are.

A job that does not do it for you may have its perks, but suffocating in a workplace where you feel disrespected is a surefire way to ruin your day. From being surrounded by negativity to leading a squad of backstabbers, there are a variety of serious red flags that could make your current gig the wrong fit. Another thing is not able to get due promotion.

It is important to know when to quit a job because no job is worth sacrificing your well-being for. This includes mental, physical, and emotional.

Last edited:

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
I think when it is necessarily to leave a job is that ; when one notice that all his or her effort is no more recognized or welcomed by the organization.
When one notice that the threaten receiving can be lead to death or lead to sicknesses .

One can also quit a job when there is another option that is certain in ground. And if some body also have an investment that is even better than the payment receiving from the current job. So it will be better to be focus on that personal investment than to just be wasting time where they will just make the person retarded .

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
What I have realised over the years when it comes to people quitting their jobs either paying jobs or none paying jobs is because they are not truly happy with the job. Son people are doing jobs they are not really comfortable with they are just doing it because there is either nothing else they could do or the pay is what is attracting them to doing the job. It is not really easy doing a job you really don't have a passion for, it will be a complete struggle when you wake every morning to prepare for the job.

On know when to quit your current job one must look out for the signs, first there is this voice that speaks inside everyone from time to time and when that voice begins to say its time to call it quit please listen to it. Again I would say when you discover that you are not delivering as you used to maybe as a result of health challenges. Or when you notice there are somuch complaints coming from your superiors and it is always persistent, it will be better to find your way out before been shown theway out of the organization.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My wife has several colleagues who resigned from work due to excessive pressure. They were so stressed that sometimes they get sick. I understand that part of getting sick because I also experienced that when I was hired as a general manager of a software house. The owner was harassing not only me but all the employees. It is like he wanted us to do work to compensate for the salaries that we receive. Okay, I got sick and landed in the hospital. My wife asked me to resign instead of enduring the pressure that might kill me. But my fallback during that time is my wife, she has a nice job with a good salary. If you do not have a good fallback then you have to think of a way to control the stress that is bugging you. In that part I do not have a suggestion because the control of stress is on a case to case basis.

E

eldavis

Personally I feel the best time to quit your job. Is when you have found another one that pays better. Cause truth be told, I do not know of other places but here in my location, it's pretty difficult to find a job. You might reach a level where you know what you are being paid at your current work place is lower than your worth. What you should do at that moment is to quit but the wise thing to do would be to secure a better place first, after you have gotten a better place then you can let go.

Caramelle

I left my last company in a not-so-ideal situation because I wasn't able to see the red flags earlier and more importantly perhaps, I cannot afford to lose the job. I had to wait until I can't take the pressure and the situation anymore before resigning. Looking back, there were warnings during my first two years on the company that tells me it wasn't a job that could last a lifetime. These warnings include a lack of willingness to hire additional staff to support the administrative needs of the fast-growing business and the lack of enthusiasm to improve employee benefits above those required by laws. Much later, it showed reluctance to promote within ranks and drastically changed its management approaches. When you start thinking of going home as soon as you arrive at the office early in the morning and when you're too impatient for the clock to hit 5:00 PM, it's time to start exploring new job opportunities.​

PICKFORD

Verified member
There are various ways reasons why people choose to leave their present job whether you are working for someone (employee), or whether you are a sole proprietor, or whether you are a business man or woman owning his or her own company there are some certain reasons why some choose to quit there occupation. The main reasons is when your effort and energy produce less or no output sometimes people find themselves in wrong line of business that eats much of their time, energy, and strength, and yet produced low or no output or good results. In such situation it is advisable to quit after several trials. Also as an employee it is okay to quit your job if you have not been remember rated or compensated for your good works of course you will be discouraged, and probably think that your effort time and energy is taken for granted or are of less value. Even as an employee people choose to leave their job when their income they receive from the employer isn't off a well-meaning amount or can't take much care of their needs in situation like this, they tend to leave their job hoping to see a better one.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
For me I do not really like working for any organisation most especially the private organisation because I believe that they won't really have anything to give me compared to the freedom they have taken from me and most of them even with their little payment they will still abuse you and disrespect to you just because they are the boss and they really employed you into their business organisation.

Even if I have the opportunity to work offline for any reason the payment rate must be perfectly okay and when the payment rate is okay I can just manage it for as long as I am capable of starting up my own online business or anything , if the business environment is not suitable for me.

I think the main reason why most people are resigning from businesses is because of the low payment rate most especially over here that the government does not regulate the amount of money to be paid to every worker by business organisation . And sometimes you could see how people are being paid 20 dollars on monthly basis just because there is high level of unemployment in the country and a lot of employers are using this against employees.

Kendy

Verified member
For me, the best way to know it is time to quit your current job is when you have better opportunities or apart from that, when the present salary cannot foot your bills. Personally, I quit jobs wherein the pressure is too much on me. There was a school I was teaching to make a source of living but the working conditions were unfavourable, long working hours and miserable low wages coupled with several threats of dismissal from work if you cannot keep up with the task. Salaries were being owed and slashed on several occasions and the management had no concern for the welfare of their staff, not minding how these could affect total worker's productivity. Long working hours was another challenge, where you resume as early as 7am and close by 4pm and almost 6pm every Fridays. I realized that I was not growing in the organization because there was no promotion and my knowledge was being sapped out without refill, there was no opportunity where you could elevate yourself academically because the superior will not allow such development. I had to resign because I know if I remained there, I will fail to acknowledge my worth and value.

Currently, I don't like where I'm working and I'm thinking of quiting my job. These are my reasons.

1. Time: I work from 6am to 8pm, within this time interval, I don't seems to have time for myself or doing what I ought to do on a daily basis. My job is really stressful and requires attention. I hate it when I feel too busy with other things and having less time for myself. By the end of the way after closing, I feel so tired and weak.

2. Angry Boss: My boss is an angry dude. You might not like it when you're 5 minutes late.

3. Physical stress: I do feel tired as I don't stay idol or even have time to take a nap. I'm feeling really tired even as I'm typing right now. It's not easy coping with job but I'll have to do it in order to gather enough fund before going back to school. thanks

Shaf

Verified member
I believe when you start dreading going to your job everyday and you get happy when leaving, that's a good sign that that's a job you should leave.

However, as it is in reality, it's not about having a horrible job, it's all about survival. Without an alternative means of income, you have no business thinking of quitting. It may sound cruel, but sometimes, quitting won't solve the problem.

In such cases, what you should do is to look for the source of your frustrations at the job and find solutions to it. It may take time, but it will keep you afloat while looking for alternatives.

Kennysplash

Verified member
The moment you realize that your services are no longer appreciated no matter what you do, then it is time to throw in the towel. Although I'm not an advocate of quitting one's job, but there are times when you just have to go through it. Staying at a place where your efforts are not acknowledged is a waste of time and ability. However you should make sure you have an alternative first, don't quit without having a plan on how you will survive. At the same time, don't overstay your welcome at the company. Leave for a place you will be appreciated. Everyone deserves that at least.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
When you're in the middle of a job, it's easy to think that quitting is just an option. But if you've been there for a while and feel stuck, there might be a smarter way to get what you want out of your job. Here are some signs that it's time to look for a new opportunity:

1. You're not getting the experience you need. The most important thing about any job is the training and development opportunities it offers, so if you're not getting those from your current job, it might be time to move on.

2. You feel like your current boss doesn't really understand what you do or how you do it well. It's normal for bosses at all levels to have blind spots when it comes to their employees' work—and this can lead them into career cul-de-sacs where they don't see how talented people are wasting their time doing tasks they could be doing instead. If this happens with your boss, consider finding another place where they might see what an asset you are.

3. You're ready for something different than what this company offers. If you aren't getting what you want out of the company then you also have a reason