How to Transition to Self Employment From a Regular Job

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I used to have a job where I was earning well, but one day I decided to quit and become a full-time freelancer. I made this choice because I was already earning extra money from freelancing while working my regular job. Balancing both became too hard, so I had to pick one. I chose freelancing. If you want to transition, you will have to remember a couple of things, one, can you generate income through your existing skills, can you generate enough income to maintain your life, do you have savings that can help you pay bills if you fail to earn through self employment.

Phantasm

Banned
When a person dedicates his life to self-employment, it is one of the most interesting, adventurous, and satisfying experiences he may experience in his lifetime. Here are some steps that will help you make the transition seamlessly:

1. Come Up With a Business Idea:

To develop a business idea that may work, look at your skills, passions and what the market is asking for.

2. Establish a Business Plan:

A detailed business plan should contain your business goals, target market, pricing strategy and marketing plan.

3. Begin Saving Money:

Have enough savings to cater for personal bills and potentially cover any other costs related to the business during its early stages.

4. Test Your Idea:

It could be important not to say good bye to your employer before testing the viability of your concept on a small scale or realizing potential market response.

5. Financial Planning:

Add up start-up costs, expected income and identify funding needs that would last until such time that it becomes profitable.

6. Legal Stipulations and Administrative Set up:

Register your company name with registrar of companies; apply for permits where they are required; open an account with bank especially for this purpose

7. Networking And Relationship Building;

Communicate with freelancers or any kind of individual doing his job independently as well as different clients or even those having information about companies involved in this sphere