Is blogging lucrative in Nigeria?

Mellorando

Banned
Before answering the question let's first consider what is a blog. According to Wikipedia, A blog is a discussion or informational website published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete, often informal diary-style text entries. Posts are typically displayed in reverse chronological order, so that the most recent post appears first, at the top of the web page. There are many successful bloggers in Nigeria who run the most viral websites, like Nairaland and Linda Ikeji. These bloggers earn upwards of N50 million per month. ... For a blog to be lucrative it must be in the right niche, getting millions of page views per month and generating more than $1,000 every month
Many people who want to venture into blogging would like to know whether blogging is lucrative in Nigeria. I have even found new bloggers asking the same question after finding it hard to generate meaningful revenues from their blogs. From my personal experience, blogging is lucrative in Nigeria but only for individuals with passion and commitment.There are some individuals who are frustrated with their full time job and want to join blogging but are not sure whether the risk will pay off. Yes, blogging is good but one has to take calculated risks. Before you even think of quitting your job, first create the blog and monitor how it performs. If you find that it’s something you enjoy doing, then quit your job and dedicate all your time on your new venture.’

The most profitable niches for Nigerian bloggers are:

1 Sports
2 Entertainment
3 Education
4 Business
5 Make money online
6 Jobs
7 Health

9 essential things to do before starting a blog in 2022:

1 Decide what you want to blog about.
2 Research blogs in that niche.
3 Think about how you will structure your
blog.
4 Brainstorm blog post ideas.
5 Think about how your blog will make
money.
6 Decide if your blog will be hosted or
self-hosted.
7 Decide on hosting.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Before I comment, I need to correct the poster as we are all learning. Nairaland is not a blog but a forum. There is different among a website, forum and blog. Back to the discussion. Blogging is very lucrative and not relative to country. It only has some principles that need to be mastered before it can be yielding good results. For instance, there is need to choose a good niche. How will you know a good niche to blog on? You can easily know thisny sampling your friends on social media. After knowing the right niche, the next thing is to know how to promote one's blog. And the first thing to do before promotion is by creating good and quality contents. If all these are done, there will be lucrativity.

D

Deleted member 28127

I could confirm most of the discussions on Neiraland there is much advertising or in other terms posts not related even to the topic that disturbs the reader experience.

arunima25

Verified member
Irrespective of the country, blogging is popular everywhere and can be a good source of income too. But then as you said that one can not jump into leaving a full time job and start earning overnight with blogging. A lot has to be planned and executed before one plans to quit a regular job and become full time blogger. If one has enough savings and willing to take a risk, full time job can be quit and all effort and time can be devoted to blogging. It will take some time for a blog to pick popularity and enough traffic to earn. Best is to devote some time out of your job to develop your blog and quit the job only when you see that the blog has picked up and one has started earning from there.

Sherifshorg

As a matter of fact, blogging is lucrative in Nigeria if it solves a particular problem and is written and posted in the most needed niche like employment. For your blog to be lucrative and profitable, it must be captivating, relevant, and straight to the point.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
One thing I can say is that people are used to understand the full concept of blogging in Nigeria. People believe that you only need to break a news to the internet to become a blogger.

Some bloggers are very funny as they will be copying content from other blog and post it on their own as the writer. the majority of them usually receive penalty from Google search engine and later complain that blogging is not lucrative.

Large majority don't know that the source of your traffic will play a huge role on how lucrative your blogging will be. They will often complain that blogging can be a waste of time when they manage to generate a lot of traffic but made little amount

Blogging can be very lucrative in Nigeria if you are targeting advance country like United States Canada Australia etc. There are so many in inches can choose from to start a blog.

You can blog about anything online outside your money or your life niche. The reason is that it can be very hard to receive Google if you set up a Blog in this niches. These include finance health and business loans.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Base on my little understand I can say it is a lucrative business that can be able to generate money if done properly , but the only problem with blogging over here is that if you are doing it in Africa you really have to work extra hard to be able to achieve the best results from your online business because the earning rate for blogging here in Africa is extremely low compared to people who are doing it in the western country.

When determining the amount of money you are earning from traffic through Google Access it will mostly depend on location , people in the UK are likely to earn higher because their economy is among the best in the world compared to people in the United States.

There are a lot of things about blogging that a blogger need to understand because it is not just about writing of quality contents to post on website , there are some things only an expert will be able to guide you on and all these things are for the main purpose of achieving success in your business journey. Every online business is stressful and it's not always something easy as we may think.

E

eldavis

Blogging is a very lucrative online gig but not everyone is cut out for the work. There are a lot of persons who have had it in mind to be bloggers but gave up on this dream along the line. I have a friend who wanted to start a blog, but gave up on it, the major problem when it comes to blogging is getting the desired traffic which can be pretty tough for every beginner

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Blogging has a good scope, despite the fact that blogging is actually quite competitive. I do not think that your country or region could play any role when it comes to creating and running a successful blog. Regardless of the country you belong to, you can definitely start a good blog and make money. As far as I know there are many people from Nigeria who own successful blogs. there are many blogs that help Nigerians to make money online, as the field of online money making is progressing a lot in Nigeria. There are many other Nigerian bloggers who are running successful blogs in other niches as well.

I would not advise anyone to start a controversial blog. However, I think that it would be a great idea to start a blog that would help your fellow countrymen to deal with the problems in their own country. For example, if you believe that poverty is a huge problem in your country, then you can start a blog about how to deal with poverty and ways to combat it. Your blog will be country-oriented and probably attract traffic from your own country. I think you could even make a good amount of money by displaying advertisement related to your own country.